Old 03-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Alan

Default Eggs on spinach leaves - ID

I've noticed clusters of eggs on the underside of my spinach leaves
(outdoors in growbags). The eggs are white, elongated cigar-shaped and
clustered together, about 5 per cluster, small but clearly visible. Does
anyone know what they are and what I should do to get rid of them? I'm not
averse to using chemicals, although obviously I'd prefer not to.

I also noticed markings on the leaves like leaf miner. Could that be the
problem? I don't know what leaf miners look like.

Now I know why I prefer buying veggies from the supermarket --- I don't see
the ikky creepies lurking on the leaves!!

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Marcus Fox

"Alan" wrote in message
I've noticed clusters of eggs on the underside of my spinach leaves
(outdoors in growbags). The eggs are white, elongated cigar-shaped and
clustered together, about 5 per cluster, small but clearly visible. Does
anyone know what they are and what I should do to get rid of them? I'm

not
averse to using chemicals, although obviously I'd prefer not to.

Sounds like Cabbage White butterfly caterpillars.

Marcus

Old 04-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Max Wright

In message , Alan
writes
I've noticed clusters of eggs on the underside of my spinach leaves
(outdoors in growbags). The eggs are white, elongated cigar-shaped and
clustered together, about 5 per cluster, small but clearly visible. Does
anyone know what they are and what I should do to get rid of them? I'm not
averse to using chemicals, although obviously I'd prefer not to.

I also noticed markings on the leaves like leaf miner. Could that be the
problem? I don't know what leaf miners look like.

You're right - the eggs will hatch into leaf miners - small maggots
which eat their way round inside the leaves. I would just rub the eggs
off, and tear off the bits of leaves that have already been mined.

--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop