GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   greenhouse floor (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/30803-greenhouse-floor.html)

david 06-06-2003 06:32 PM

greenhouse floor

I've just about finished erecting my new 4.5 x 3.0 m greenhouse, and am
wondering about the best floor. The land beneath is very rocky. I had
thought of just using gravel. And then I wondered whether it would not get
messed up with spilled potting compost etc.
Any good ideas?

--
David

Valanec
29460 HANVEC
France
+33 (0)298 21 90 29

Mike Hunter 06-06-2003 10:44 PM

greenhouse floor

"david" wrote in message
I've just about finished erecting my new 4.5 x 3.0 m greenhouse, and am
wondering about the best floor. The land beneath is very rocky. I had
thought of just using gravel. And then I wondered whether it would not get
messed up with spilled potting compost etc.
Any good ideas?

--
David

Valanec
29460 HANVEC
France
+33 (0)298 21 90 29

Spilled compost is not too much of a problem but -

Difficult to keep anything level. Staging legs dig in.
Damping down only works for a very short time since the water just
disappears.

Duck boards work well for a small greenhouse : they bed into the gravel and
form a firm surface. For a large greenhouse the cost of the wood is as much
or more than standard concrete paving slabs.

I'm on my 3rd year of gravel floor. Last year's autumn project was a paved
area outside the greenhouse. This years project will be a proper floor IN
the greenhouse.

Mike