Old 06-06-2003, 06:32 PM
david

Default greenhouse floor

I've just about finished erecting my new 4.5 x 3.0 m greenhouse, and am
wondering about the best floor. The land beneath is very rocky. I had
thought of just using gravel. And then I wondered whether it would not get
messed up with spilled potting compost etc.
Any good ideas?

--
David

Valanec
29460 HANVEC
France
+33 (0)298 21 90 29

Old 06-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Mike Hunter

"david" wrote in message
I've just about finished erecting my new 4.5 x 3.0 m greenhouse, and am
wondering about the best floor. The land beneath is very rocky. I had
thought of just using gravel. And then I wondered whether it would not get
messed up with spilled potting compost etc.
Any good ideas?

--
David

Valanec
29460 HANVEC
France
+33 (0)298 21 90 29

Spilled compost is not too much of a problem but -

Difficult to keep anything level. Staging legs dig in.
Damping down only works for a very short time since the water just
disappears.

Duck boards work well for a small greenhouse : they bed into the gravel and
form a firm surface. For a large greenhouse the cost of the wood is as much
or more than standard concrete paving slabs.

I'm on my 3rd year of gravel floor. Last year's autumn project was a paved
area outside the greenhouse. This years project will be a proper floor IN
the greenhouse.

Mike

growing toms & cucs with concrete greenhouse floor? keith ;-\) United Kingdom 6 05-01-2005 05:27 PM
May Vanda roots touch the floor? [email protected] Orchids 6 27-08-2003 08:22 AM
Floor Kit for Storage Shed Greg Lawns 11 30-07-2003 04:24 PM
how to sustain a good C02 rate with cold floor? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
how to sustain a good C02 rate with cold floor? Rich Conley Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 29-03-2003 11:20 AM