Old 07-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Darkginger

Default Progress!

For those who care, I thought I'd post an update on how my soon-to-be-gravel
garden is coming along. Well - last night, our across the road neighbour
turned up with his digger, and turned over the 'lawn', removing about 2
tons of huge rocks in the process. The hubbie and I spent a lot of today
removing the smaller rocks by hand (I pointed out that convicts get to have
that sort of 'fun'), and we're left with an almost flat (although with a
pronounced slope away from the house - a fall of around 2 feet in 24) mud
wasteland. The base fabric stuff arrived this evening, and hopefully we'll
get it laid down (and pegged down!) sometime in the next 48 hours. Gravel is
being organised (something to do with a friend of a friend who regularly
dredges the local salmon river - don't ask me, the hubbie arranged it during
one of his pub visits!).

In anticipation of the garden construction, I'm growing everything in pots.
Spent four or five hours thinning out seedlings, watering things, feeding
plants, acidifying the pieris, sowing yet more seeds, tying up sunflowers,
sprinkling yet more slug pellets around everything etc. etc and I am now
totally knackered! But it's a good type of exhaustion - going to go light
the fire, cook a quick Shepherds Pie, and sit down in front of a new DVD
before passing out....

Oh, and I couldn't resist buying something called 'Tears of the Devil' when
we were at the garden centre this morning. Can't recall the Latin name
offhand, and have just taken the wellies off, so I'm not about to go outside
again to find out - but it's really weird looking - sort of thick red
teardrop shaped flowers - I love it!

I took lots of photos of the pots and mud today - wanted to have a record of
the garden construction. Haven't uploaded them anywhere yet, but will let
you know when I get round to it, so you can laugh! (Remember, I'm new to
this gardening thing!),

Hope everyone else had an equally satisfying gardening day. I'm planning a
lie-in tomorrow!

Jo