GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Newts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/31162-newts.html)

Chris Rowe 09-06-2003 03:32 PM

Newts

Hi
Iv'e just found a small newt in my equally small wildlife pond,I was told
that they are now an endangered species and that there is a number that I
can ring to notify of their appearance

Does anyone know if this is correct or is someone pulling my leg

TIA Chris

Dee 09-06-2003 04:08 PM

Newts

Common newts are quite common. If you have a great crested newt ( do a
google for more info) then you do have something special

AndyP

Kay Easton 09-06-2003 04:44 PM

Newts

In article , Chris
Rowe writes
Hi
Iv'e just found a small newt in my equally small wildlife pond,I was told
that they are now an endangered species and that there is a number that I
can ring to notify of their appearance

Does anyone know if this is correct or is someone pulling my leg

There are three species of newt in Britain, the smooth newt, another
newt, and the great crested. Only the great crested is endangered, and I
doubt whether yours is one of them. So look after it (since newst aren't
as common now as they were), but you don't need to tell anyone about it.

Male smooth newts have a crest down their back and tail at this time of
year - the difference between this and great crested is more subtle.

Try a google image search to get pictures of the three species, and see
if you can work out which yours is.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: