Old 10-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Ophelia

Default Red Gooseberries

When I was a child, back in the mists of time, I used to eat red, sweet
gooseberries. Does anyone know what type they may have been?

Ophelia

Old 10-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Colin Davidson

"Ophelia" wrote in message
When I was a child, back in the mists of time, I used to eat red, sweet
gooseberries. Does anyone know what type they may have been?

There are lots of green and yellow varieties. I believe a red variety called
'Aston red' is well thought of. It's not that uncommon to find red and
yellow specimens in the wild, probably domestic escapees.

Old 10-06-2003, 12:08 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Ophelia
writes
When I was a child, back in the mists of time, I used to eat red, sweet
gooseberries. Does anyone know what type they may have been?

Ken Muir lists the following red varieties
Whinham's Industry
Pax

and a 'new' one
Rokula

at http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/products.as...&ProductID=38#

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 10-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Ophelia
writes
When I was a child, back in the mists of time, I used to eat red, sweet
gooseberries. Does anyone know what type they may have been?

Lancashire Lad?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 10-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Victoria Clare

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in news:Tt473iAkkb5
:

In message , Ophelia
writes
When I was a child, back in the mists of time, I used to eat red, sweet
gooseberries. Does anyone know what type they may have been?

Ken Muir lists the following red varieties
Whinham's Industry

Probably not Whinham's Industry. I had a bush in my last garden, and the
berries were never very sweet and smelt absolutely awful (to my nose).

Victoria

Old 10-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Ophelia

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Ophelia
writes
When I was a child, back in the mists of time, I used to eat red, sweet
gooseberries. Does anyone know what type they may have been?

Ken Muir lists the following red varieties
Whinham's Industry
Pax

and a 'new' one
Rokula

at http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/products.as...&ProductID=38#

Thanks dave... I do buy from him so I will have a wee look

Old 10-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Ophelia

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Ophelia
writes
When I was a child, back in the mists of time, I used to eat red, sweet
gooseberries. Does anyone know what type they may have been?

Lancashire Lad?

I hope that was a rhetical question) I don't have clue

Old 10-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Ophelia

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.10...
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in news:Tt473iAkkb5
:

In message , Ophelia
writes
When I was a child, back in the mists of time, I used to eat red, sweet
gooseberries. Does anyone know what type they may have been?

Ken Muir lists the following red varieties
Whinham's Industry

Probably not Whinham's Industry. I had a bush in my last garden, and the
berries were never very sweet and smelt absolutely awful (to my nose).

Victoria

Ahh thanks Victoria

Old 10-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Ophelia

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Ophelia
writes
When I was a child, back in the mists of time, I used to eat red,

sweet
gooseberries. Does anyone know what type they may have been?

Lancashire Lad?

I hope that was a rhetical question) I don't have clue

sigh rhetorical even