GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Conifers. Help What can I plant round them? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/31473-conifers-help-what-can-i-plant-round-them.html)

Evelyn Usher 11-06-2003 10:32 AM

Conifers. Help What can I plant round them?

Hi there,

I have several conifers growing in half barrels around my garden.

What I want to know is. What can I grow round them? The conifers are the small variety, about 3-4
feet high.

I did try heathers and that was not a success. Can I put in some Bedding plants and perhaps a Clematis?

I am quite new to this gardening and want a nice show of colour.

--
Evelyn in Scotland

Nick Gray 11-06-2003 03:08 PM

Conifers. Help What can I plant round them?

"Evelyn Usher" wrote in message
. ..
Hi there,

I have several conifers growing in half barrels around my garden.

What I want to know is. What can I grow round them? The conifers are the

small variety, about 3-4
feet high.

I did try heathers and that was not a success. Can I put in some Bedding

plants and perhaps a Clematis?

I am quite new to this gardening and want a nice show of colour.

--
Evelyn in Scotland

Hi Evelyn,

Summer bedding would be fine, just make sure that you keep the barrels well
watered to stop the greedy conifers drinking all the water.

In the winter I replace my summer bedding, that is around my dwarf conifer,
with winter pansies.

I think that a Clematis would grow too vigorously for a barrel, but having
said that a fan trellis at the back of the barrel for it to grow up might be
nice.

HTH

Nick

martin 11-06-2003 07:49 PM

Conifers. Help What can I plant round them?

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:28 +0100 (BST), (Evelyn
Usher) wrote:

Hi there,

I have several conifers growing in half barrels around my garden.

What I want to know is. What can I grow round them? The conifers are the small variety, about 3-4
feet high.

plaster gnomes?
--
martin

IntarsiaCo 11-06-2003 08:08 PM

Conifers. Help What can I plant round them?

Epimediums will tolerate the dryish conditions beneath your conifers.

bnd777 11-06-2003 08:23 PM

Conifers. Help What can I plant round them?

Conifers of all kinds are greedy feeders and strip the soil along with
turning it acid
hence the difficulties of growing much near them and the reason for Leylandi
wars
Do give the suggestions from other posters a try though

Evelyn Usher 11-06-2003 08:32 PM

Conifers. Help What can I plant round them?

In article , (Nick Gray) wrote:

Hi there.

Thanks for the quick answer,

I bought o couple of clematis today from our local co op supermarket 2 for £2, 99, so I think I will try this and some petunias round the
conifer. The barrel is in a sheltered spot against a wall

--
Evelyn in Scotland

Nick Maclaren 11-06-2003 09:56 PM

Conifers. Help What can I plant round them?

Usher) wrote:

I have several conifers growing in half barrels around my garden.

What I want to know is. What can I grow round them? The conifers are the small variety, about 3-4
feet high.

plaster gnomes?

Well, you could, but I would plant Cyclamen coum. With luck, it
will establish itself and form a carpet - very decorative leaves
some of the year, and very attractive flowers. It HATES competition
and waterlogging, but can take summer drought and very poor or acid
soil (though it doesn't need them).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Kay Easton 11-06-2003 10:08 PM

Conifers. Help What can I plant round them?

In article , Evelyn Usher
writes
In article ,
(Nick Gray) wrote:

Hi there.

Thanks for the quick answer,

I bought o couple of clematis today from our local co op supermarket 2 for £2,
99,

Clematis like to stay moist around the roots. Plant them away from the
base of the tree and guide them up and towards it. Be prepared to water
in the first year.

But at that price, it's worth the experiment.

so I think I will try this and some petunias round the
conifer. The barrel is in a sheltered spot against a wall

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: