Old 11-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Dr. HackenSack

Default Newbie: Bindweed Wars

Hi, good news is just got my first garden, bad news is its got loads of
Bindweed !

Any help on how to defeat it greatly appreciated, so far everything i have
done has only beaten it for a few days, just keeps coming straight back. My
back cant take much more digging

Any particular kind of weedkiller or home made recipe that i can/should use

Cheers

TIA

Old 11-06-2003, 06:23 PM

Any help on how to defeat it greatly appreciated, so far everything i have
done has only beaten it for a few days, just keeps coming straight back.

My
back cant take much more digging

I've tried digging it out, poisoning it, pulling it etc. Still comes back
but with less vigour. However, now I have a tub of water into which I drop
the bindweed when I pull it up. It will, hopefully, make a liquid compost
tea which I can then put back on the garden.

I don't bother trying to dig it up anymore as it'll soon come back from my
neighbour's gardens....

- h

Old 11-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Paul Kelly

"Dr. HackenSack" wrote in message
Hi, good news is just got my first garden, bad news is its got loads of
Bindweed !

Any help on how to defeat it greatly appreciated, so far everything i have
done has only beaten it for a few days, just keeps coming straight back.

My
back cant take much more digging

Any particular kind of weedkiller or home made recipe that i can/should

use

Digging is a wastes of time and energy - even a piece of root 1/4 inch long
will regrow!

Ideally drench the lot in Glyphosate spray (tumbleweed, groundcover etc).
leave for a week for the chemical to be take to the roots. clear all top
weed growth, leave for 2/3 weeks for strong regrowth to come back then spray
again.

If BW is through plants you want to keep, use the glove method. Cotton glove
over rubber or plastic glove. Drench in weedkiller and stroke the bindweed
strands telling each how much you love them and giving them a little
squeezer for luck (actually to bruise the tissue and allow better uptake)

pk

Old 11-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Paul Kelly

"H" wrote in message

I don't bother trying to dig it up anymore as it'll soon come back from my
neighbour's gardens....

18" trench along the fence line lined on the boundary with heavy duty
polythene!

pk

Old 11-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:24:56 +0100, "Dr. HackenSack"
wrote:

Any help on how to defeat it greatly appreciated, so far everything i have
done has only beaten it for a few days, just keeps coming straight back. My
back cant take much more digging

If you don't mind using weed killer (glyphosate is best) put in a cane
beside each piece of bindweed and let it grow up the cane. Then
protect the surrounding plants any way your ingenuity fancies and
spray or cotton-glove the bindweed on the canes. The taller you let
it grow the easier it will be to treat it without touching other
plants. Leave till it dies down. You will probably need to do it
again. Worth it in the end as it eventually kills the roots.

Pam in Bristol

Old 11-06-2003, 07:49 PM
Dr. HackenSack

"Dr. HackenSack" wrote in message
Hi, good news is just got my first garden, bad news is its got loads of
Bindweed !

Any help on how to defeat it greatly appreciated, so far everything i have
done has only beaten it for a few days, just keeps coming straight back.

My
back cant take much more digging

Any particular kind of weedkiller or home made recipe that i can/should

use

Cheers

TIA

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Looks like lashings of Glyphosate all round, luckily i dont have any other
plants around the areas that need doing so i can use the "splash it all over
technique".
At least this is easier than digging !.

As long as i can get the better of it now it will be easier in the future
with the growth that does return i hope !.

Thanks all

Old 11-06-2003, 08:22 PM
bnd777

Cut the base off lemonade/coke plastic bottles and just below the neck too
Thread the bindweed through the neck of the bottle down to the ground and
coil all bindweed up inside
Then spray into the bottle with Glyphosatate weed killer once a week till no
more shoots appear

If you do dig be very careful to trace back the entire root and not to leave
even a broken inch in the soil

Old 12-06-2003, 12:21 AM
Howlis

I use "Verdone" lawn weedkiller, it'll do the job and kill it down to the
roots and it's cheaper and works faster.

H.

Old 12-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:38:46 +0100, Dr. HackenSack wrote:

Looks like lashings of Glyphosate all round, luckily i dont have any other
plants around the areas that need doing so i can use the "splash it all over
technique".

Beware making the mistake of thinking "more is better" where
glyphosphate is concerned. Too much, and it simply burns the
foliage and never gets translocated to the roots to do its lethal
work.

You might try mixing the stuff half the recommended strength and
making a comparison trial to the full strength mix. I have a
funny idea that half strength might do just as well, possibly
even better, than full strength.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 12-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Dr. HackenSack

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:38:46 +0100, Dr. HackenSack wrote:

Looks like lashings of Glyphosate all round, luckily i dont have any

other
plants around the areas that need doing so i can use the "splash it all

over
technique".

Beware making the mistake of thinking "more is better" where
glyphosphate is concerned. Too much, and it simply burns the
foliage and never gets translocated to the roots to do its lethal
work.

You might try mixing the stuff half the recommended strength and
making a comparison trial to the full strength mix. I have a
funny idea that half strength might do just as well, possibly
even better, than full strength.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I think you are right, i was just speaking to my father about the problem,
and his exact words were "don't go mad with the stuff" which i think if
roughly translated means exactly what you have said !!

Thanks

Old 17-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Chris Norton

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:12:27 +0100, "Dr. HackenSack"
wrote:

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Definatly a case of read the label. Get the good stuff too from your
local ag supplier. Likely to be much better price.

star wars day shazzbat United Kingdom 0 04-05-2004 01:06 PM
star wars day shazzbat Edible Gardening 0 04-05-2004 12:03 PM
. Tech bubbles , wars and aliens . Jeff Relf Plant Science 0 23-12-2003 08:42 PM
A 'miracle' in the forest: Deal to save old trees shows there's room for compromise in timber wars Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 01-08-2003 07:42 PM
Stars Wars logging machine? Larry Harrell alt.forestry 9 19-12-2002 10:54 PM