GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Petrol strimmer - wow! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/31639-petrol-strimmer-wow.html)

Jolltax 12-06-2003 07:45 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

Hello everyone,

I posted on this group a while back, uncertain as to whether I should buy a
petrol strimmer or another electric to replace my recently deceased Flymo.

I just wanted to report that I took the plunge and bought the cheapest
petrol one I could find at B&Q at £80 (a McCulloch).

Tried it for the first time today and blimey! My strimming time has gone
from 45 minutes to about 10! This thing ATE my garden - fantastic. I am
chuffed to bits with it.... No cable (hooray!) PLUS you get the sadistic
thrill of gunning the throttle as you approach a meaty thistle knowing it is
going to DIE.

To anyone else considering spending the the extra 40 quid for a petrol one,
save up for a couple of extra weeks and get one.

Yours chuffedly!

Jolltax

---

Barry & Iris McCanna 12-06-2003 08:09 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

"Jolltax" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Sorry to throw cold water on your enthusiasm :-( Yes, strimming
makes things look great and tidy, etc. We do it ourselves. But,
don't think your thistle is dead just because you have taken the top
off. Nothing dies unless you kill the roots or dig it up.

Iris McCanna

PJ 12-06-2003 08:20 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:34:18 +0100, Jolltax wrote
(in message ):

I just wanted to report that I took the plunge and bought the cheapest
petrol one I could find at B&Q at £80 (a McCulloch).

Tried it for the first time today and blimey! My strimming time has gone
from 45 minutes to about 10!

Thanks for this posting, I'm just thinking about getting a strimmer and I
will definitely get a petrol one.

My petrol lawn-mower is I think far better than the electric one it replaced,
so for me it is a petrol strimmer definitely :)

--
Patrick

Rick McGreal 12-06-2003 09:08 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

"Jolltax" wrote in
:

To anyone else considering spending the the extra 40 quid for a petrol
one, save up for a couple of extra weeks and get one.

I was thinking of getting a petrol mower...

But my plot isn't really big enough to justify one really...
Only 20ft x about 40ft

And I had a fit of embarressment when I had no idea where to get the
fuel....
My car is a diesal so I couldn't do them at the same time!

And where do you keep the extra fuel?
Can I use a regular fuel can?

And the biggie.....Are they cheaper to run than an electric?

Andrew 12-06-2003 09:08 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

To anyone else considering spending the the extra 40 quid for a petrol

one,
save up for a couple of extra weeks and get one.

Yours chuffedly!

Jolltax

How about doing grass edges/borders?/ I notice on the bq website its says
a edges/no next to edges.
My current electric one i can swivel the head upside down to allow me to do
the edges i suspect you cant do that with the bq petrol one.
Can you perhaps hold the whole thing upside down and do the edges?
Id really like this £80 petrol one but i need to be able to do the edges of
my lawn with it.
What are your thoughts on this?

[email protected] 12-06-2003 09:20 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

Barry & Iris McCanna wrote:

Sorry to throw cold water on your enthusiasm :-( Yes, strimming
makes things look great and tidy, etc. We do it ourselves. But,
don't think your thistle is dead just because you have taken the top
off. Nothing dies unless you kill the roots or dig it up.

Oh yes it does! If you keep mowing an area of weeds frequently enough
and short enough you will, within a few months, end up with what is
basically a lawn. There will be a few plants other than grass that
can survive being short and flat (plantains, some clover, maybe
daisies) but it will be mostly grass and there certainly won't be any
thistles.

--
Chris Green )

[email protected] 12-06-2003 09:20 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

Rick McGreal wrote:
"Jolltax" wrote in
:

To anyone else considering spending the the extra 40 quid for a petrol
one, save up for a couple of extra weeks and get one.

I was thinking of getting a petrol mower...

But my plot isn't really big enough to justify one really...
Only 20ft x about 40ft

And I had a fit of embarressment when I had no idea where to get the
fuel....
My car is a diesal so I couldn't do them at the same time!

And where do you keep the extra fuel?
Can I use a regular fuel can?

And the biggie.....Are they cheaper to run than an electric?

You can't be serious, the running cost of either a petrol or an
electric strimmer would be completely lost in the 'noise' of other
related expenses.

--
Chris Green )

Jolltax 12-06-2003 09:32 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

How about doing grass edges/borders?/ I notice on the bq website its
says
a edges/no next to edges.
My current electric one i can swivel the head upside down to allow me to

do
the edges i suspect you cant do that with the bq petrol one.
Can you perhaps hold the whole thing upside down and do the edges?
Id really like this £80 petrol one but i need to be able to do the edges

of
my lawn with it.
What are your thoughts on this?

I don't think you would get razor sharp edges with the strimmer I have, the
more expensive petrol ones come with this as a feature though, guess it
depends on how much your budget would stretch.

---

Chris French and Helen Johnson 12-06-2003 09:56 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

In message , Rick McGreal
writes

I was thinking of getting a petrol mower...

But my plot isn't really big enough to justify one really...
Only 20ft x about 40ft

Nah I don't think it is worth it for that (our lawn is of a similar
size)

And I had a fit of embarressment when I had no idea where to get the
fuel....

In a petrol station........

My car is a diesal so I couldn't do them at the same time!

And where do you keep the extra fuel?

In the garage/shed etc.
Can I use a regular fuel can?

You just use a standard petrol can - a 5 litre plastic can from the
garage is fine.

And the biggie.....Are they cheaper to run than an electric?

I don't think the relative running costs are really significant.

Petrol mowers are more powerful so good for larger mowers and larger
lawns, but they probably require more maintenance, are noiser and
smellier to use, heavier and more expensive.

Electric mowers are cheaper, the mowers are lighter, it is cleaner and
require less maintenance.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

H 12-06-2003 10:32 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

I just wanted to report that I took the plunge and bought the cheapest
petrol one I could find at B&Q at £80 (a McCulloch).

I recently bought the same model - but from Homebase. I also waited for one
of their 10% days so got it slightly cheaper.

This thing ATE my garden - fantastic.

Now go out and buy some extra strimming line as what came with the strimmer
won't last very long at all. :-(

It's easy to do grass edges, btw. Just rotate the whole thing around.

Have fun....and remember those goggles.....

- h

Sue & Bob Hobden 12-06-2003 11:21 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

Helen wrote in message

It's easy to do grass edges, btw. Just rotate the whole thing around.

Have fun....and remember those goggles.....

I use mine to do the edges of the allotments by turning it over but you
won't get a good straight edge unless it has a suitable attachment; AND you
will need goggles if you try it or you just might loose an eye as it will
kick up a lot of stones etc. in the process.
You can buy a good face guard for about £14.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Janet Baraclough 12-06-2003 11:56 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

The message
from contains these words:

Barry & Iris McCanna wrote:

Sorry to throw cold water on your enthusiasm :-( Yes, strimming
makes things look great and tidy, etc. We do it ourselves. But,
don't think your thistle is dead just because you have taken the top
off. Nothing dies unless you kill the roots or dig it up.

Oh yes it does! If you keep mowing an area of weeds frequently enough
and short enough you will, within a few months, end up with what is
basically a lawn. There will be a few plants other than grass that
can survive being short and flat (plantains, some clover, maybe
daisies) but it will be mostly grass and there certainly won't be any
thistles.

You must have a wimpy variety of thistles then..ours happily adapt to
strimming/mowing and thereafter spend years being short and flat unless
someone digs up their root.So do docks.

Janet.

[email protected] 13-06-2003 12:45 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:31:44 +0100, "H"
wrote:

I just wanted to report that I took the plunge and bought the cheapest
petrol one I could find at B&Q at £80 (a McCulloch).

I recently bought the same model - but from Homebase. I also waited for one
of their 10% days so got it slightly cheaper.

This thing ATE my garden - fantastic.

I have also just taken the plunge, but in a moment of madness I bought
the larger 25cc McCulloch brushcutter. It has certainly eaten my
rather neglected allotment - now I just have to work out what to do
with a six-foot-high haystack...

Now go out and buy some extra strimming line as what came with the strimmer
won't last very long at all. :-(

I noticed this - it may be that my lack of experience means that I'm
bumping the line out more quickly than I need, but the first time I
used it I ran out of line before I had cleared my allotment.

It's easy to do grass edges, btw. Just rotate the whole thing around.

Have fun....and remember those goggles.....

The Cabrio 246 that I bought came with a face mask. It is only a basic
mask - no swivelling for example - but it is still far better than
goggles because a) it doesn't mist up and b) it protects the whole of
your face from flying grass and twigs and macerated slugs and snails.
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk

Rick McGreal 13-06-2003 08:20 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

wrote in :

And the biggie.....Are they cheaper to run than an electric?

You can't be serious, the running cost of either a petrol or an
electric strimmer would be completely lost in the 'noise' of other
related expenses.

Oh....My neighbour has a petrol mower and his is not that noisy...

But I swear his cuts his grass MUCH faster than mine does does....

Rick McGreal 13-06-2003 08:20 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote in
:

And I had a fit of embarressment when I had no idea where to get the
fuel....

In a petrol station........

Oh...Its just normal 4star fuel then?
(Boy do I feel an idiot now!)

And where do you keep the extra fuel?

In the garage/shed etc.

Didn't know you could store fuel at home....
Even in such small quantities

And the biggie.....Are they cheaper to run than an electric?

I don't think the relative running costs are really significant.

Petrol mowers are more powerful so good for larger mowers and larger
lawns, but they probably require more maintenance, are noiser and
smellier to use, heavier and more expensive.

Ok...The smell would be an issue...But I dpon't think that the noise level
would be...Its only for an hour a week or so...And the council makes more
noise than that just about everyday with its huge ride-on mowers it has
running around (Not cutting the grass btw!)

Electric mowers are cheaper, the mowers are lighter, it is cleaner and
require less maintenance.

In that case I will stay with my electric....
It just seems easier!

Thanks!

[email protected] 13-06-2003 09:32 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

Rick McGreal wrote:
wrote in :

And the biggie.....Are they cheaper to run than an electric?

You can't be serious, the running cost of either a petrol or an
electric strimmer would be completely lost in the 'noise' of other
related expenses.

Oh....My neighbour has a petrol mower and his is not that noisy...

But I swear his cuts his grass MUCH faster than mine does does....

What has either of these fascinating facts got to do with running
costs? :-)

--
Chris Green )

[email protected] 13-06-2003 09:44 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote:

And where do you keep the extra fuel?

In the garage/shed etc.
Can I use a regular fuel can?

You just use a standard petrol can - a 5 litre plastic can from the
garage is fine.

You are only allowed to keep a maximum of two 5 litre cans of petrol
by the way, it's to minimise the fire risk. I don't suppose there are
petrol can police around but it's a moderately sensible limit anyway.

And the biggie.....Are they cheaper to run than an electric?

I don't think the relative running costs are really significant.

That was entirely my thought.

--
Chris Green )

[email protected] 13-06-2003 09:44 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

Rick McGreal wrote:
Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote in
:

And I had a fit of embarressment when I had no idea where to get the
fuel....

In a petrol station........

Oh...Its just normal 4star fuel then?
(Boy do I feel an idiot now!)

You can't get 4 start any more you know! (Well it may be possible but
it's not very easy nowadays)

And where do you keep the extra fuel?

In the garage/shed etc.

Didn't know you could store fuel at home....
Even in such small quantities

As I just said, maximum of two 5 litre cans I think, and they must be
'proper' petrol cans of the approved type and colour.

--
Chris Green )

Tim 13-06-2003 09:56 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

On 13 Jun 2003 07:19:33 GMT, Rick McGreal
wrote:

Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote in
:

And I had a fit of embarressment when I had no idea where to get the
fuel...

In a petrol station........

Oh...Its just normal 4star fuel then?
(Boy do I feel an idiot now!)

Unless you have a super-duper tuned engine on your lawn-mower, not even 4
star. 2 star'll be perfect. It'll work with 4-star but you're wasting your
money on anything more than the lowest octane you can get.
4-star is needed in high performance engines with high compression ratios,
which a lawn-mower engine is NOT. Using a higher octane fuel than required
is a waste of money and fuel and you'll likely get poorer performance out
of the engine (you'd be unlikely to notice the difference in performance on
a lawn-mower though).

Oops, better stop now, I'm beginning to drift off the subject....
Tim.

Tim 13-06-2003 09:56 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

On 13 Jun 2003 08:33:50 GMT, wrote:

Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote:

And where do you keep the extra fuel?

In the garage/shed etc.
Can I use a regular fuel can?

You just use a standard petrol can - a 5 litre plastic can from the
garage is fine.

You are only allowed to keep a maximum of two 5 litre cans of petrol
by the way, it's to minimise the fire risk. I don't suppose there are
petrol can police around but it's a moderately sensible limit anyway.

And the biggie.....Are they cheaper to run than an electric?

I don't think the relative running costs are really significant.

That was entirely my thought.

One five-litre can of fuel will last you ages. That little fuel tank on the
strimmer lasts me well over an hour at full throttle. It must be around
250ml so that's a good 20 hours of work, or more.
Just make sure you know whether it's a 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine (most
are 4-stroke). In the unlikely event that it's a 2-stroke you'll *have* to
add 2-stroke oil to the fuel (or to a small tank on the mower) or you'll do
it in. The instruction book will tell you. Tim.

Chris French and Helen Johnson 13-06-2003 09:56 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

In message , Rick McGreal
writes
Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote in
:

And I had a fit of embarressment when I had no idea where to get the
fuel....

In a petrol station........

Oh...Its just normal 4star fuel then?
(Boy do I feel an idiot now!)

Well, it'll be unleaded I guess, not '4 star' -then only 4 star avaiable
now is Lead Replacement Petrol for older vehicles that can't run on
unleaded - and it's seems to be less and less common.

And where do you keep the extra fuel?

In the garage/shed etc.

Didn't know you could store fuel at home....
Even in such small quantities

I'm not sure what the actual limit is. You can store 5 litres in a
proper plastic container, you might be able to store more in a metal
container - presumably there is limit on the maximum amount.

Apparently petrol 'goes off' in some way and this can cause problems
with some things, but I've had petrol stored for a few years and it's
been apparently ok.

And the biggie.....Are they cheaper to run than an electric?

I don't think the relative running costs are really significant.

Petrol mowers are more powerful so good for larger mowers and larger
lawns, but they probably require more maintenance, are noiser and
smellier to use, heavier and more expensive.

Ok...The smell would be an issue...But I dpon't think that the noise level
would be...Its only for an hour a week or so

The noise issue is an issue for me using it. I specifically looked for
an electric mower that was quieter than average to make it mor e
pleasant (less unpleasant?) cutting the lawn.

Electric mowers are cheaper, the mowers are lighter, it is cleaner and
require less maintenance.

In that case I will stay with my electric....
It just seems easier!

Indeed, for the average domestic lawn it seem to make more sense

Rick McGreal 13-06-2003 10:08 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

wrote in :

Oh....My neighbour has a petrol mower and his is not that noisy...
But I swear his cuts his grass MUCH faster than mine does does....

What has either of these fascinating facts got to do with running
costs? :-)

If he can cut the grass faster that means he has the engine running
less...Meaning using less fuel...Meaning less cost
Also possibly a little less wear and tear on the motor....

Tim 13-06-2003 10:08 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

wrote:

[...]

....and before Chris jumps on me[ ;-) ], read 91 RON for 2-star, 98 RON for
4-star, unleaded. Or whatever it's called in the UK now.

Tim.

Rick McGreal 13-06-2003 10:08 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

wrote in :

You can't get 4 start any more you know! (Well it may be possible but
it's not very easy nowadays)

Ok....LRP.....

If it isn't unleaded or diesal its 4 star to me!!! B-)

Didn't know you could store fuel at home....
Even in such small quantities

As I just said, maximum of two 5 litre cans I think, and they must be
'proper' petrol cans of the approved type and colour.

I have one of those anyway.....
I never use it....But I have one....B-)

Tim 13-06-2003 10:20 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

Apparently petrol 'goes off' in some way and this can cause problems with
some things, but I've had petrol stored for a few years and it's been
apparently ok.

What happens is that the fuel can absorb water from the air if the
container isn't full, but with such small anounts this is unlikely to be a
problem -mostly when you leave a car standing for ages, it absorby water
from the air.
Also some of the more volatile parts can evaporate after a while and leave
a light glazing, like clear laquer on surfaces. Also hardly a problem in a
5 litre container. Even less so with a mower motor.

And the biggie.....Are they cheaper to run than an electric?
I don't think the relative running costs are really significant.

Petrol mowers are more powerful so good for larger mowers and larger
lawns, but they probably require more maintenance, are noiser and
smellier to use, heavier and more expensive.

Ok...The smell would be an issue...But I don't think that the noise
level
would be...Its only for an hour a week or so

The noise issue is an issue for me using it. I specifically looked for an
electric mower that was quieter than average to make it more pleasant
(less unpleasant?) cutting the lawn.

Some of the new motor mowers are very quiet - our neighbour has one and I
thought it was just a louder electric one. Worth checking out if you need a
motor mower. I don't find that the motor mowers are very smelly, except
when I spill fuel topping it up. 2-stroke strimmers on the other hand....

Maintenace-wise, a petrol mower probably needs more running maintenance
than an elecrtic one butat least you can likely fix it yourself if you know
a bit of basics about engines. An electric one may need a serious trip to
the dealer if it goes wrong. All the usual things like cleaning/sharpening
you have to do to both, so the only real practical difference I found is
you should properly overwinter the motor mower(change oil, clean plug etc.)
which only takes about an hour or so each year, whereas you can just stuff
the electric one away in the shed.
Tim.

Chris French and Helen Johnson 13-06-2003 04:20 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

In message oprqo64gm1wxhha1@localhost, Tim
writes

...and before Chris jumps on me[ ;-) ], read 91 RON for 2-star, 98 RON
for 4-star, unleaded. Or whatever it's called in the UK now.

Drat !! - beat me to it - spoiled me fun.....:-)

Rodger Whitlock 13-06-2003 04:32 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

On 12 Jun 2003 19:56:09 GMT, Rick McGreal wrote:

But my plot isn't really big enough to justify one really...
Only 20ft x about 40ft

You, sir, need to turn into a retro-grouch and buy a manual
(push) reel lawn mower. A 20x40 lawn is small enough to mow
*every* day by hand. Keep your manual (push) reel lawn mower
sharp, mow every day, and soon you will have a 20x40 patch of
green velvet.

No cords, no fuel, no horrible noise. Just quiet peaceful
whirring sounds that will startle your neighbours, confound your
enemies, and amuse your friends.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Rick McGreal 13-06-2003 07:54 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

(Rodger Whitlock) wrote in
:

You, sir, need to turn into a retro-grouch and buy a manual
(push) reel lawn mower. A 20x40 lawn is small enough to mow
*every* day by hand. Keep your manual (push) reel lawn mower
sharp, mow every day, and soon you will have a 20x40 patch of
green velvet.

No cords, no fuel, no horrible noise. Just quiet peaceful
whirring sounds that will startle your neighbours, confound your
enemies, and amuse your friends.

I'd love one.....!

My brother had one but it was all rusted up....
And would have been more trouble to repair it...

It even had one of those rollers on the back that gave you the nice
stripes!

Maybe I should think about seeing if I can repair it myself....
The parts were all there...And if I treat it like a hobby it may well keep
me out of trouble for a bit!

Liz 13-06-2003 11:09 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:31:44 +0100, "H"
wrote:

snip

The Cabrio 246 that I bought came with a face mask. It is only a basic
mask - no swivelling for example - but it is still far better than
goggles because a) it doesn't mist up and b) it protects the whole of
your face from flying grass and twigs and macerated slugs and snails.
--

Last week while strimming, safety conscious as ever, I wore my mask with
smugness, before jostling with the Trophy Mums to pick up my kid from

Liz

Janet Baraclough 14-06-2003 01:44 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

The message
from "Liz" contains these words:

Last week while strimming, safety conscious as ever, I wore my mask with
smugness, before jostling with the Trophy Mums to pick up my kid from
school. I thought they were giving me an even wider berth than usual, then
realised i was coated neck-to-toe in a fine slug and nettle puree....

LOL. It's surprisingly hard to get off your skin, too :-) The Trophy
Mums (what they?) would have been steering even wider, if you owned a
dog. The addition of high-velocity dogpooh to the fine green puree worn
by strimmer devotees, adds a tang which turns heads. Always keep your
mouth closed while strimming.

I'm currently decorated with indelible black spots up to my elbows,
after painting several square metres of trellis on a rather breezy day.

Janet.

martin 14-06-2003 07:56 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 00:17:24 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "Liz" contains these words:

Last week while strimming, safety conscious as ever, I wore my mask with
smugness, before jostling with the Trophy Mums to pick up my kid from
school. I thought they were giving me an even wider berth than usual, then
realised i was coated neck-to-toe in a fine slug and nettle puree....

LOL. It's surprisingly hard to get off your skin, too :-)

Nude strimming?

--
martin

dave @ stejonda 14-06-2003 09:32 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

In message , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes
Petrol mowers are

[...]
smellier to use,

I rather like that smell

--
dave @ stejonda

andy 14-06-2003 10:20 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

wrote:

[...]

I've been using this one for a year or so now professionally - great
for doing around trees + up to walls etc. and nice and lite.
No good for sharp lawn edges tho. Only get a really good job with long
handled edging shears.
I'm in ther market for EXTRA long ones ..... Any suggestions as to
good ones + where to obtain etc. ?

DaveDay34 14-06-2003 11:32 AM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

I've been using this one for a year or so now professionally - great
for doing around trees + up to walls etc. and nice and lite.
No good for sharp lawn edges tho. Only get a really good job with long
handled edging shears.
I'm in ther market for EXTRA long ones ..... Any suggestions as to
good ones + where to obtain etc. ?

Andy,

I use a pair made by 'Green Gem' which have retracting handles which make them
great for storing after use and which extend to quite some length. They're
pretty cheap, but seem to be of as good/better quality than a lot of others
that seem to be around. I got mine from a local garden centre in Crews Hill
(North London).

Dave.

Rodger Whitlock 14-06-2003 04:08 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

On 13 Jun 2003 18:51:39 GMT, Rick McGreal wrote:

(Rodger Whitlock) wrote in
:

You, sir, need to turn into a retro-grouch and buy a manual
(push) reel lawn mower...

I'd love one.....!

My brother had one but it was all rusted up....
And would have been more trouble to repair it...

They're very simple machines. The only complicated thing is
figuring out how the drive wheels are affixed to the axles. Be
careful of the little part that makes the motion one-way; that
is, do your work on a hard surface, not on the lawn itself.
What's usually wrong is rust, and what makes them right is emery
paper and oil.

Yours for horto-luddism.

Dave Liquorice 14-06-2003 05:21 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:34:18 +0100, Jolltax wrote:

PLUS you get the sadistic thrill of gunning the throttle as you
approach a meaty thistle knowing it is going to DIE.

Takes more than strimming the top off to kill a thistle. Only sure
fire way (short of chemicals) to remove them is to dig 'em up,
carefully. a) so you don't suffer to much from the prickles b) you get
as much of the tap root as possible.

I've just dug up three that had tap roots 1/2" dia that just went down
and down, I suspect they got buried a year or so back when we had some
excavations done, it's taken them a little while to find the surface
again...

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Simon Avery 15-06-2003 12:08 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

Rick McGreal wrote:

Hello Rick

And I had a fit of embarressment when I had no idea where
to get the fuel....

In a petrol station........

RM Oh...Its just normal 4star fuel then?

Absolutely not!

Standard unleaded works on nearly all small engines, but the golden
rule is that all strimmers run on 2/stroke. Neat petrol will kill your
strimmer.

Buy 2-stroke oil (most garages, garden centres, agricultural centres)
and follow the instructions. on the bottle to mix at 25-1 strength.
All this will be covered in the manual, btw.

If you're lucky enough to have a small local attended garage that does
2-stroke (we are, in Chudleigh) then you just walk up, give the guy
your empty can and say "5 litres of 25-1 please" and he mixes it for
you. Remember to shake can thoroughly once mixed.

A one gallon plastic fuel can will last, with light use, most of the
summer btw - small strimmers are incredibly economical now.

H 15-06-2003 12:32 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

The Cabrio 246 that I bought came with a face mask. It is only a basic
mask - no swivelling for example - but it is still far better than
goggles because a) it doesn't mist up and b) it protects the whole of
your face from flying grass and twigs and macerated slugs and snails.

I use the DeWalt tool 'goggles'. They are like wrap-around sunglasses but
made with impact-resistant plastic. Gives eye protection but without the
steaming problem. As for protecting the rest of my face from gunge, I find
that if I keep my head about 5 foot 8" from the ground and the strimmer
strimming to throw the stuff out away from me, I rarely get hit in the face.
My feet and legs, on the other hand........

- h

Tim 16-06-2003 04:09 PM

Petrol strimmer - wow!

wrote:

The message
from "Liz" contains these words:

Last week while strimming, safety conscious as ever, I wore my mask
with
smugness, before jostling with the Trophy Mums to pick up my kid from
school. I thought they were giving me an even wider berth than usual,
then
realised i was coated neck-to-toe in a fine slug and nettle puree....

LOL. It's surprisingly hard to get off your skin, too :-)

Nude strimming?

If the weather's nice....
Tim.