GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Advice please for Outdoor Grape vine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/31752-advice-please-outdoor-grape-vine.html)

Stuart Meier 13-06-2003 02:32 PM

Advice please for Outdoor Grape vine

Just planning to put up an arbor on which we want to grow a grape vine,
starting in the Autumn. At the last house we had one in a conservatory where
it (Black Homburg?) did well.

But we wonder what variety we should grow, against southfacing protected
wall in Sussex. We want it more for shade/foliage than for fruit. Also, how
fast we can expect it to grow...

Thanks for any advice

--
Stuart

Nick Maclaren 13-06-2003 02:45 PM

Advice please for Outdoor Grape vine

In article ,
"Stuart Meier" writes:
| Just planning to put up an arbor on which we want to grow a grape vine,
| starting in the Autumn. At the last house we had one in a conservatory where
| it (Black Homburg?) did well.
|
| But we wonder what variety we should grow, against southfacing protected
| wall in Sussex. We want it more for shade/foliage than for fruit. Also, how
| fast we can expect it to grow...

Consider also Vitis coignetae.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

H 13-06-2003 03:44 PM

Advice please for Outdoor Grape vine

Check out reads nursery's website. They hold the national collection of
vines and have loads and loads on offer, mail order. They will be able to
suggest something a bit different?

- h

David W.E. Roberts 13-06-2003 05:44 PM

"Stuart Meier" wrote in message
Just planning to put up an arbor on which we want to grow a grape vine,
starting in the Autumn. At the last house we had one in a conservatory

where
it (Black Homburg?) did well.

But we wonder what variety we should grow, against southfacing protected
wall in Sussex. We want it more for shade/foliage than for fruit. Also,

how
fast we can expect it to grow...

Thanks for any advice

--
Stuart

Try Brant - sold by our local Notcutts as a foliage plant but also produces
quite a few bunches of grapes.

Should grow 8' + in a season if in a sunny spot.