Old 13-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Stuart Meier

Default Advice please for Outdoor Grape vine

Just planning to put up an arbor on which we want to grow a grape vine,
starting in the Autumn. At the last house we had one in a conservatory where
it (Black Homburg?) did well.

But we wonder what variety we should grow, against southfacing protected
wall in Sussex. We want it more for shade/foliage than for fruit. Also, how
fast we can expect it to grow...

Thanks for any advice

--
Stuart

Old 13-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Stuart Meier" writes:
| Just planning to put up an arbor on which we want to grow a grape vine,
| starting in the Autumn. At the last house we had one in a conservatory where
| it (Black Homburg?) did well.
|
| But we wonder what variety we should grow, against southfacing protected
| wall in Sussex. We want it more for shade/foliage than for fruit. Also, how
| fast we can expect it to grow...

Consider also Vitis coignetae.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2003, 03:44 PM

Check out reads nursery's website. They hold the national collection of
vines and have loads and loads on offer, mail order. They will be able to
suggest something a bit different?

- h

Old 13-06-2003, 05:44 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Stuart Meier" wrote in message
Just planning to put up an arbor on which we want to grow a grape vine,
starting in the Autumn. At the last house we had one in a conservatory

where
it (Black Homburg?) did well.

But we wonder what variety we should grow, against southfacing protected
wall in Sussex. We want it more for shade/foliage than for fruit. Also,

how
fast we can expect it to grow...

Thanks for any advice

--
Stuart

Try Brant - sold by our local Notcutts as a foliage plant but also produces
quite a few bunches of grapes.

Should grow 8' + in a season if in a sunny spot.