GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Smelly compost need high carbon material!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/32082-smelly-compost-need-high-carbon-material.html)

dommy 15-06-2003 10:43 AM

Smelly compost need high carbon material!!

Hi all, I have too much high nitrogen material in my compost bin and it is becoming smelly now.

What can I do?

I cant get hold of any dry leaves, where do i get straw from? what other high carbon materials can i use?:confused:

martin 15-06-2003 10:57 AM

Smelly compost need high carbon material!!

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 09:58:39 GMT, dommy
wrote:

Hi all, I have too much high nitrogen material in my compost bin and it
is becoming smelly now.

What can I do?

I cant get hold of any dry leaves, where do i get straw from? what
other high carbon materials can i use?:confused:

shredded newspaper?
--
martin

Nick Maclaren 15-06-2003 11:32 AM

Smelly compost need high carbon material!!

In article m,
dommy wrote:
Hi all, I have too much high nitrogen material in my compost bin and it
is becoming smelly now.

What can I do?

I cant get hold of any dry leaves, where do i get straw from? what
other high carbon materials can i use?:confused:

Ignore those Yankee delusions. They are hogwash.

You simply need to get more air into the compost, which may require
keeping it a bit drier. Turn it over and loosen it. Yes, you can
also improve things by adding dry material - from leaves to grass
to prunings.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rhiannon S 15-06-2003 01:08 PM

Smelly compost need high carbon material!!

Subject: Smelly compost need high carbon material!!
From: martin
Date: 15/06/2003 10:47 GMT Daylight Time
wrote:

Hi all, I have too much high nitrogen material in my compost bin and it
is becoming smelly now.

What can I do?

I cant get hold of any dry leaves, where do i get straw from? what
other high carbon materials can i use?:confused:

shredded newspaper?
--

Given the level of b*llsh*t reported in most of the tabloids, then compost is
all it's fit for.

Seriously shredded newspaper is great, but don't use glossy mags. Cardboard
boxes work well too, but take the plastic tape off them first.
****************************
Rhiannon
http://www.members.aol.com/mddestiny/entrypage.html
ClipclopclipclopBANGBANGclipclopclip
-- Amish driveby shooting

dommy 15-06-2003 01:24 PM

Hi all thanks very much for the replies.

I have already added some newspaper and turned it, how much newspaper can i add, is there a limit? will newpaper decompose quickly?

The problem is i have used up all the dry leaves for leave mould so I need to find some high carbon material, I dont know where to get stawr from.

How about really dry grass? will that work?

Victoria Clare 16-06-2003 07:21 PM

Smelly compost need high carbon material!!

dommy wrote in
s.com:

Hi all thanks very much for the replies.

I have already added some newspaper and turned it, how much newspaper
can i add, is there a limit? will newpaper decompose quickly?

Newspaper takes a while to break down unless you shred it, or layer single
sheets carefully with lots of green stuff.