Old 15-06-2003, 10:43 AM
Registered User

Location: London
Default Smelly compost need high carbon material!!

Hi all, I have too much high nitrogen material in my compost bin and it is becoming smelly now.

What can I do?

I cant get hold of any dry leaves, where do i get straw from? what other high carbon materials can i use?
Old 15-06-2003, 10:57 AM
martin

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 09:58:39 GMT, dommy
wrote:

Hi all, I have too much high nitrogen material in my compost bin and it
is becoming smelly now.

What can I do?

I cant get hold of any dry leaves, where do i get straw from? what
other high carbon materials can i use?

shredded newspaper?
--
martin
Old 15-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article m,
dommy wrote:
Hi all, I have too much high nitrogen material in my compost bin and it
is becoming smelly now.

What can I do?

I cant get hold of any dry leaves, where do i get straw from? what
other high carbon materials can i use?

Ignore those Yankee delusions. They are hogwash.

You simply need to get more air into the compost, which may require
keeping it a bit drier. Turn it over and loosen it. Yes, you can
also improve things by adding dry material - from leaves to grass
to prunings.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-06-2003, 01:24 PM
Registered User

Location: London

Hi all thanks very much for the replies.

I have already added some newspaper and turned it, how much newspaper can i add, is there a limit? will newpaper decompose quickly?

The problem is i have used up all the dry leaves for leave mould so I need to find some high carbon material, I dont know where to get stawr from.

How about really dry grass? will that work?

Old 16-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Victoria Clare

dommy wrote in
s.com:

Hi all thanks very much for the replies.

I have already added some newspaper and turned it, how much newspaper
can i add, is there a limit? will newpaper decompose quickly?

Newspaper takes a while to break down unless you shred it, or layer single
sheets carefully with lots of green stuff.