Old 19-06-2003, 11:32 AM

Default Strelitzia Seed

"Michael Berridge" wrote in message
:
: K wrote in message ...
:
: :
: Did it flower one year and then not for a few years. I need to know
: this,
: so that when it flowers in a few years' time and then doesn't flower
: the
: following year, I shall know not to chuck it out. :O((
:
: Yes, it flowered a couple of years ago, but not since.
:
: Mike
: www.british-naturism.org.uk
:
Any idea why some plants do this, and then suddenly flower again?

Old 20-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"IntarsiaCo" wrote in message
. Do you know if they had the
~yellow form?
~Kirstenbosch Gold or some such. I daren't look.

The name was 'Kirstenbosch Gold' until 1996 when Kirstenbosch was granted
permission to re-name it 'Mandela's Gold'.

Oops, perhaps someone better tell Kew to change the name on their specimen!

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 21-06-2003, 11:56 AM
IntarsiaCo

Oops, perhaps someone better tell Kew to change the name on their specimen!

I don't believe that Kew would appreciate being corrected by this Connecticut
yankee so I'll leave it to you locals to advise them.
Old 23-06-2003, 08:41 AM
jane

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:32:36 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

~On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:27:07 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:
~
~
~I was looking to see if I could work out what was the minimum size
~needed for S. reginae flowering, and it seemed to be the £25
~three-crowned ones. But the thing I'm most amazed about was the leaf
~size. Most of the single-crowned plants had 8 or 9 leaves, but they
~were all like daggers - 4-5" widths and about 8" long. The one
~currently popping out of my plant is a good 12-13" long and about 6-7"
~wide, ie a heck of a lot more leaf area. I am wondering if this is a
~function of light levels or heat. Again, I do not know if flowering is
~related to leaf number or leaf energy-producing area. (In amaryllis
~it's definitely the number of leaves produced.)
~ I suspect that the reason for the wide time variation in flowering
~onset is quite complex!
~
~So, the new question for all you with flowering strelitzias is how big
~are your leaves and how many are there on the plant? :-)
~
~Strelitzia juncea has narrow rush-like leaves, quite different to
~those of S. reginae. Whether there are hybrids between them I don't
~know, but it may account for the narrow leaves you saw.

No, they were definitely reginae. Just with much narrower leaves than
mine. I've also seen such narrow ones outside in hot countries, so I
am taking this to mean that in dry, hot conditions they can get enough
nutrients from smaller leaves without losing too much water etc
through the larger leaf area. The palm centre wasn't as humid as my
conservatory which tends to support the theory.

Since we started this thread mine's grown a root out the pot base and
is growing yet another giant leaf - I am wondering how big this one
will get... I reckon at this rate I'll have a yard-high plant by the
end of the summer :-)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 25-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:24:18 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

Since we started this thread mine's grown a root out the pot base and
is growing yet another giant leaf - I am wondering how big this one
will get... I reckon at this rate I'll have a yard-high plant by the
end of the summer :-)

I have three in tubs, grown from seed possibly ten years ago. However
for the last three years they've been outside all year and have
survived very wet autumns, several frosts and this year, snow. However
'survive' is about it; they definitely didn't flourish, even down here
in the far SW. The leaves get shredded and the flowers are always
ruined by rain. This year I've re-potted two of them into larger
containers and moved them into the refurbished conservatory, so they
should do better. Two flower spikes on both but none opened yet,
although one won't be long (that one's exactly 150 cm from soil level
to tip). Can't really give you a leaf count, as I hacked off several
of the deadest and tattiest when re-potting. Leaf stems are typically
60 - 75 cm, with the leaves oval, say 25 x 12 cm.

The crowns seem to develop in 'fans', with the new leaves coming up in
the centre of the fan, which gradually gets wider. Some crowns have
more than one fan, which I presume will develop into separate crowns
in time. The flower shoots emerge from the base of leaves near the
outer edge of a fan. Mine have two crowns on each plant (although one
crown on one plant seems moribund at the moment, possibly dead). Does
one ever get more than two flowers from each fan at any one time? If
not, then the maximum number of flowers will be governed by the number
of fans.

As an aside, you imply that your conservatory is quite humid. How do
you keep it that way, or is that just the way it is? Do you have a
fountain or similar, or do you splash water everywhere in hot weather,
or is there just so much greenery that it keeps itself humid? Mine
(approx 8ft x 32ft) faces SW, and doesn't have very good roof
ventilation (high level louvers in the ends only). When we're out and
the main windows are closed (security/insurance requirements, as there
is access into the house) it gets pretty hot in sunny weather even
with blinds and an extractor fan going full belt. I spray everything
with plain water several times a day when it's hot, anyway.

--
Chris

Old 25-06-2003, 07:20 PM
News.CIS.DFN.DE

[...]

Chris I have a large plant (4-5 crowns) that became too big for home so I
have taken it into school where it gets plenty of light and warmth. It
produces plenty of new leaves but the older ones tend to droop and bend. It
was in flower when I bought it several years ago but hasn't produced any
flower stems since. Do you have any suggestions?

TIA

Natalie

Old 25-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
News.CIS.DFN.DE wrote:

Chris I have a large plant (4-5 crowns) that became too big for home so I
have taken it into school where it gets plenty of light and warmth. It
produces plenty of new leaves but the older ones tend to droop and bend. It
was in flower when I bought it several years ago but hasn't produced any
flower stems since. Do you have any suggestions?

Treat it more roughly! I am no expert, but they are adapted to very
harsh conditions in their native climate. Some months of warm and
fairly wet conditions, in which they grow, and many months of NO
rain and often cold nights. I don't know what triggers the development
of flower stems, but it could be cold or even drought.

So far, I have got mine to flower regularly, but more by luck than
judgement.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 25-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Natalie

" Treat it more roughly! I am no expert, but they are adapted to very
harsh conditions in their native climate. Some months of warm and
fairly wet conditions, in which they grow, and many months of NO
rain and often cold nights. I don't know what triggers the development
of flower stems, but it could be cold or even drought.

So far, I have got mine to flower regularly, but more by luck than
judgement.

Can't treat it much more rough than I already do ;-)

Even had a parent complaining today that it looked like it needed watering!

Natalie

Old 25-06-2003, 10:32 PM
IntarsiaCo

Do you have any suggestions?

Bonemeal, composted manure, feed all summer, pH7-8, dryish in winter, full sun
or half shade. All that you need to know should be at:
www.plantzafrica.com
where there is an archive of old Veld and Flora articles.
Old 25-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "News.CIS.DFN.DE" contains these words:

Chris I have a large plant (4-5 crowns) that became too big for home so I
have taken it into school where it gets plenty of light and warmth. It
produces plenty of new leaves but the older ones tend to droop and bend. It
was in flower when I bought it several years ago but hasn't produced any
flower stems since. Do you have any suggestions?

Large potted ones that I've seen in flower, have all been pretty
potbound. Perhaps strelitzia does better when hungry and a bit dry,
rather than when well fed and watered.

Janet

Old 25-06-2003, 11:57 PM
jane

(jane) wrote:
~
[...]

Right - mine's still a short-a*se then! So far so good - I am optimistic it
may flower in the next two years. :-)

~The crowns seem to develop in 'fans', with the new leaves coming up in
~the centre of the fan, which gradually gets wider. Some crowns have
~more than one fan, which I presume will develop into separate crowns
~in time. The flower shoots emerge from the base of leaves near the
~outer edge of a fan. Mine have two crowns on each plant (although one
~crown on one plant seems moribund at the moment, possibly dead). Does
~one ever get more than two flowers from each fan at any one time? If
~not, then the maximum number of flowers will be governed by the number
~of fans.
~
Dunno here - am waiting for the first fan to split or a new one to start
shooting up from the base. At the moment I'm suitably astonished at the
speed it's growing these whopping leaves and grateful that the larger the
leaf area the more energy the plant produces and the more likely it is to
flower sooner rather than later!

~As an aside, you imply that your conservatory is quite humid. How do
~you keep it that way, or is that just the way it is? Do you have a
~fountain or similar, or do you splash water everywhere in hot weather,
~or is there just so much greenery that it keeps itself humid? Mine
~(approx 8ft x 32ft) faces SW, and doesn't have very good roof
~ventilation (high level louvers in the ends only). When we're out and
~the main windows are closed (security/insurance requirements, as there
~is access into the house) it gets pretty hot in sunny weather even
~with blinds and an extractor fan going full belt. I spray everything
~with plain water several times a day when it's hot, anyway.
~
My rather tiny in comparison conservatory was very badly designed (like
just about everything else attributed to previous houseowner). It has just
two opening windows in its 9'x9', and is glass all the way down to the
tiled base. The windows are half-length so can't be left open during the
day for security as you mentioned though there are Fort Knox deadlocks on
the inner door. No louvres at all. I wish there were, but beggars can't be
choosers and it was one reason I chose this house. It gets awfully hot in
summer (have had it to 50C), despite being north facing. Because of the
number of plants inside and lack of ventilation it also gets horribly,
drippingly humid. The cucumbers love it! I think of it as my own personal
rainforest in summer, reverting to warm greenhouse in winter. I keep prayer
plants near the floor, hot water plants higher up, two bougainvilleas which
don't seem to mind the humidity and a whole load of tender heat loving
cucurbits. Oh and the strelitzia, a hoya, seven or so mature hippeastrums
and my African violet collection! (No there isn't much room for people
I picked a butternut squash the other day - the one I mentioned in another
thread which wasn't pollinated but still somehow decided to grow. It got to
1lb 4oz and then went the lovely peachy colour of ripe ones and is
currently awaiting the next barbecue!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 27-06-2003, 07:27 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:51:12 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

[...]

Wow, you must need a machete to get in there. Mine's slowly filling
up, but I've a long way to go to catch you up. Still, it sounds the
way to go to get the humidity up.

--
Chris