Old 16-06-2003, 06:06 PM
David Hill

Default Huckleberries

If they are the things related to Night Shade ....When I grew them had a
fantastic crop. but didn't like the look or smell of them so binned the
lot.

"Huckleberry is Gaylussacia baccata.
There is another plant going under the name "Garden Huckleberry", see ....
http://www.cniche.com/seed/hint27.htm
As you will see this plant is a member of the solanaceae family as are most
of the nightshades.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-06-2003, 09:46 AM
DaveDay34

If they are the things related to Night Shade ....When I grew them had a
fantastic crop. but didn't like the look or smell of them so binned the
lot.

"Huckleberry is Gaylussacia baccata.
There is another plant going under the name "Garden Huckleberry", see ....
http://www.cniche.com/seed/hint27.htm
As you will see this plant is a member of the solanaceae family as are most
of the nightshades.

I've just started working for a couple in their 80's who grow Huckleberries
each year from seed. Evidently you need to harvest them after the first frost
has hit them. They're good for jams, wine, cooking, etc. I think they told me
that they weren't to be eaten raw though (too acid/bitter).

Dave.

Huckleberries or blueberries ? Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 1 12-05-2013 07:22 PM
Is this Huckleberries? - Is it Huckleberry.JPG Kayla Garden Photos 0 09-08-2010 03:20 AM
Huckleberries Tracey United Kingdom 9 26-09-2004 01:54 PM
Huckleberries ken saunxders United Kingdom 6 28-09-2003 12:03 PM