GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potatoes in compost heap (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/32774-potatoes-compost-heap.html)

Jason Hall 18-06-2003 08:44 AM

Potatoes in compost heap

We have some potatoes growing out of our compost heap, I have just
pulled one up with the intention of adding the sproutings to the
compost and it has a lovely little potato on the end of it, how can I
tell when the rest of them will be ready to harvest? I have no idea
as to variety, they would have been supermarket bought.

Thanks

Jason

andrewpreece 19-06-2003 12:32 AM

Potatoes in compost heap

If they are maincrop potatoes, then they will be ready later on in the
summer, maybe August, the leaves tend to go yellow at this point,
if memory serves me right.

Andy