GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where can I get straw from??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/32853-where-can-i-get-straw.html)

dommy 18-06-2003 09:34 PM

Where can I get straw from???

Hi all, i have a smelly compost pile and I need high carbon material, ie straw to balance the pile. Can anyone tell me where i can get it from, i dont have a farm near by, where else do they sell it?

Thanking you in advnace:)

David P 18-06-2003 10:08 PM

Where can I get straw from???

In article m,
says...
Hi all, i have a smelly compost pile and I need high carbon material, ie
straw to balance the pile. Can anyone tell me where i can get it from,
i dont have a farm near by, where else do they sell it?

If you really want it then many petshops will have some. Be prepared to
pay an arm and a leg for it.
--
David
Visit

shannie 19-06-2003 12:20 AM

Where can I get straw from???

"dommy" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi all, i have a smelly compost pile and I need high carbon material, ie
straw to balance the pile. Can anyone tell me where i can get it from,
i dont have a farm near by, where else do they sell it?

Thanking you in advnace:)
--
dommy

Hi Dommy,
you could try some stables in or outside your area, sometimes they'll sell
you some, phone ahead and if it's a bit away you could make a day of it.
Have a look in your local paper, sometimes you'll see someone selling small
bales. That or you could try a pet shop, they sell bagged straw for rabbit
hutches etc, but that can get pricey if you need a lot of it.

HTH
Shan

ned 19-06-2003 03:08 AM

Where can I get straw from???

dommy wrote:
Hi all, i have a smelly compost pile and I need high carbon

material,
ie straw to balance the pile. Can anyone tell me where i can get it
from, i dont have a farm near by, where else do they sell it?

Ah, so there are advantages to living in the country.
Straw - £1 a bale
Hay - £2 a bale
........ farm prices.

--
ned

Victoria Clare 19-06-2003 09:56 AM

Where can I get straw from???

"ned" wrote in news:bcr5km$lsduj$1@ID-
115413.news.dfncis.de:

dommy wrote:
Hi all, i have a smelly compost pile and I need high carbon

material,
ie straw to balance the pile. Can anyone tell me where i can get it
from, i dont have a farm near by, where else do they sell it?

Ah, so there are advantages to living in the country.
Straw - £1 a bale
Hay - £2 a bale
....... farm prices.

.... but only if you have somewhere to store it, and a car that you don't
mind getting covered in it!

I buy petshop hay for my rabbits because I don't want to allocate all that
dry shed space to a bale of hay that would hang about for months, and I
like my car grass-free!

I'd guess if Dommy just wants to 'dress' a domestic compost heap with a
little straw, a mini-bale from a petshop would be enough.

Hint for Dommy: small non-chain petshops often sell straw and hay much
cheaper than the big chains, which seem to have a 3-quid minimum on
everything they sell!

Victoria

dommy 19-06-2003 10:21 AM

Thanks for your replies everybody, they are very much appreciated. I think I have a stable near by so maybe they could sell me some. Not sure about buying mini bales from a pet shop just to compost them! but if they dont cost too much then a possible option,

Katharine Mill 19-06-2003 11:20 AM

Where can I get straw from???

dommy wrote in message ws.com...
Hi all, i have a smelly compost pile and I need high carbon material, ie
straw to balance the pile. Can anyone tell me where i can get it from,
i dont have a farm near by, where else do they sell it?

Thanking you in advnace:)

I'd also recommend your local stables, but don't bother paying for the
fresh stuff. Ask if you can take from their pile of 'dirty straw',
which also contains manure - extra bonus. I went to mine with the idea
of getting manure but what I came away with was a lot more straw than
anything else. They might look at you a bit strangely but you won't
have to pay for it :-)
HTH
Katharine