Old 18-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Default Where can I get straw from???

Hi all, i have a smelly compost pile and I need high carbon material, ie straw to balance the pile. Can anyone tell me where i can get it from, i dont have a farm near by, where else do they sell it?

Thanking you in advnace
Old 19-06-2003, 12:20 AM
shannie

s.com...

--
dommy

Hi Dommy,
you could try some stables in or outside your area, sometimes they'll sell
you some, phone ahead and if it's a bit away you could make a day of it.
Have a look in your local paper, sometimes you'll see someone selling small
bales. That or you could try a pet shop, they sell bagged straw for rabbit
hutches etc, but that can get pricey if you need a lot of it.

HTH
Shan

Old 19-06-2003, 03:08 AM
ned

dommy wrote:
Hi all, i have a smelly compost pile and I need high carbon

material,
ie straw to balance the pile. Can anyone tell me where i can get it
from, i dont have a farm near by, where else do they sell it?

Ah, so there are advantages to living in the country.
Straw - £1 a bale
Hay - £2 a bale
........ farm prices.

--
ned

Old 19-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Victoria Clare

"ned" wrote in news:bcr5km$lsduj$1@ID-
115413.news.dfncis.de:

dommy wrote:
Hi all, i have a smelly compost pile and I need high carbon

material,
ie straw to balance the pile. Can anyone tell me where i can get it
from, i dont have a farm near by, where else do they sell it?

Ah, so there are advantages to living in the country.
Straw - £1 a bale
Hay - £2 a bale
....... farm prices.

.... but only if you have somewhere to store it, and a car that you don't
mind getting covered in it!

I buy petshop hay for my rabbits because I don't want to allocate all that
dry shed space to a bale of hay that would hang about for months, and I
like my car grass-free!

I'd guess if Dommy just wants to 'dress' a domestic compost heap with a
little straw, a mini-bale from a petshop would be enough.

Hint for Dommy: small non-chain petshops often sell straw and hay much
cheaper than the big chains, which seem to have a 3-quid minimum on
everything they sell!

Victoria

Old 19-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Registered User

Location: London

Thanks for your replies everybody, they are very much appreciated. I think I have a stable near by so maybe they could sell me some. Not sure about buying mini bales from a pet shop just to compost them! but if they dont cost too much then a possible option,
Old 19-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Katharine Mill

dommy wrote in message ws.com...
Hi all, i have a smelly compost pile and I need high carbon material, ie
straw to balance the pile. Can anyone tell me where i can get it from,
i dont have a farm near by, where else do they sell it?

Thanking you in advnace

I'd also recommend your local stables, but don't bother paying for the
fresh stuff. Ask if you can take from their pile of 'dirty straw',
which also contains manure - extra bonus. I went to mine with the idea
of getting manure but what I came away with was a lot more straw than
anything else. They might look at you a bit strangely but you won't
have to pay for it :-)
HTH
Katharine