Old 21-06-2003, 10:44 AM
willsniffer

Default newbie electric mower

just laid my first seed grown lawn - modest 30sq m. Will be subjected to
family feet but would appreciate advice as to what electric mower would do
the best job and with what frequency etc. Have a small flymo but get the
impression that it tugs rather than cuts despite new "blades."

thanks

Old 23-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Paul D.Smith

I have a samll Qualcast rotary. I find that a new blade each year, plus the
occasional touch up with a file, works wonders. I need the new blade bcause
I still get small stones occasionally coming to the surface and each "hit"
dents the cutting edge a little more!

Paul DS.

Old 23-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Mike

In article , willsniffer
writes
just laid my first seed grown lawn - modest 30sq m. Will be subjected to
family feet but would appreciate advice as to what electric mower would do
the best job and with what frequency etc. Have a small flymo but get the
impression that it tugs rather than cuts despite new "blades."

thanks

No it doesn't tug it unless the blade is in poor condition. It sharpens
quite easily with an Engineers File. We have a couple of Electric Flymos
and we find them very good as long as a) The blade is sharp and b) you
don't leave the grass to grow too long, ie 25mm is quite long enough and
besides that, it starts to look tatty. How often? Depends on rate of
growth given time of year and weather conditions. We are on the Isle of
Wight and in a mild winter we continue to cut through the winter.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 23-06-2003, 07:10 PM
willsniffer

thanx for the advice fellas...time for some road tests

Old 25-06-2003, 08:28 PM
willsniffer

thanx for the advice fellas...time for some road tests