Old 25-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Victoria Clare

Default young trees, lost label!

I have some young trees I planted in pots a couple of years ago as seeds.

I am fairly sure they are either cornelian cherry (cornus mas), or cherry
plum (prunus cerasifera). But I can't remember which, and I've lost the
label and the packet!

Anyone able to suggest how I could tell, given that they are only about 5
inches tall?

They have very slim leaves, smooth and untoothed, tapering to a pointed
tip, and placed alternately along the tiny trunks. Each leaf has a couple
of tiny green spurs at the base of the stalk. Young leaves are a bright
beech green, but quickly darken to a mid to dark green.

The bark, what there is of it on such tiny trees, is brown and smooth.

Any help would be appreciated!

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 25-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Paul Kelly

In .205,
Victoria Clare typed:
..

Any help would be appreciated!

do a google search, click on images and hey presto a variety of images of
the tree in question to compare yours to.

pk

Old 25-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Victoria Clare

"Paul Kelly" wrote in
:

In .205,
Victoria Clare typed:
.

Any help would be appreciated!

do a google search, click on images and hey presto a variety of images
of the tree in question to compare yours to.

Been there, done that. I didn't find detailed enough images of young
plants rather than mature trees.

Most of the pics of the cherry plum online are of a purple-leaved
varient - there is also a green version, which is what I might have, but
there are fewer images of that.

Hoping someone here might have bought the same Chiltern Seeds pack that
I did, and might recognise my description.

I personally prefer Altavista's image search to Google's for this job,
as I think the quality and relevance of the images returned for
gardening searches is better.

Google is a more text and link-focussed engine, and pays less attention
to filenames and alt text than surrounding content. This tends to
favour images from 'popular' rather than 'expert' sites, in my
experience, which is why you sometimes get a weird mix of random icons
and holiday snaps in with your image lists.

Altavista is less clever in its handling of link popularity, but for
plant images, that's just what you need.

I've tried both in this case, but was unsuccessful.

Victoria
Old 25-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Jim W

Victoria Clare wrote:

"Paul Kelly" wrote in
:

In .205,
Victoria Clare typed:
.

[...]

Personally I find the botanical image databses more useful with narrowed
searches like this:

Try some of them at:
http://www.science.siu.edu/plant-bio.../BotImages.htm

IIRC the Vascular Plant image DB and botanical.com are both pretty good.

As to your original probablem I'm afraid I can't help any further;-(

Try also some of the 'tree' sites as these are more likely to have shoot
images.. Mebbe tree trust publications, Tree ident books, Hilliers Dict
etc. There is a tree catalogue from a german firm that I mentioned here
not so long ago.. 15 Euro for the paperback although looking at
www.lappen.de I see they have an online PDF version. Likely to be a
substantial filesize though.
//
Jim