Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Ric

Default Canopy tree suggestion for south of France

I'd be grateful for suggestions for a suitable canopy tree to fulfill the
following criteria in my house in south of France:

1. It will be near a swimming pool, so should not drop too much detritus
(leaves not ok - a few flower petals or needles is ok). I'd like it to
provide attractive dappled shade.

2. It must be capable of living in south of France climate. Water will not
be an issue as I have irrigation - but it gets hot in summer. The mistral
winds can hit 40mph sometimes so needs to be fairly wind resistant.

3. I want to block out my neighbours view of my garden (no worries from
their point of view - very friendly about it!) and so the ideal canoby shape
will be about 8ft (2.5m) tall, 15ft (4.5m) wide, 3ft high. But if it gets
bigger, not too much of a problem.

Grateful for ideas.

Ric

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
David Hill

Not asking much are you.
A canopy tree that has no dropping leaves, but that flowers.
Why not try palms, You can buy them at almost any size

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Ric

"David Hill" wrote in message
Not asking much are you.
A canopy tree that has no dropping leaves, but that flowers.
Why not try palms, You can buy them at almost any size

Already got a palm. You might be right though, maybe another palm would be a
good idea. Flowering is not necessary by any means.

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
JennyC

"Ric" wrote in message
[...]

You could perhaps better ask your question in one of the French ex-pat
chat groups. I'll look the address up for your later........

Jenny

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
JennyC

"JennyC" wrote
"Ric" wrote
I'd be grateful for suggestions for a suitable canopy tree to

fulfill the following criteria in my house in south of France:
Grateful for ideas.
Ric

You could perhaps better ask your question in one of the French

ex-pat
chat groups. I'll look the address up for your later........
Jenny

Later .....
1

There are loads of groups covering a multitude of subjects. There is
bound to be one for your area :~))

Jenny

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Ric" writes:
| I'd be grateful for suggestions for a suitable canopy tree to fulfill the
| following criteria in my house in south of France:
|
| 1. It will be near a swimming pool, so should not drop too much detritus
| (leaves not ok - a few flower petals or needles is ok). I'd like it to
| provide attractive dappled shade.

Any tree that has leaves will drop some, but there are trees that
drop very few.

| 2. It must be capable of living in south of France climate. Water will not
| be an issue as I have irrigation - but it gets hot in summer. The mistral
| winds can hit 40mph sometimes so needs to be fairly wind resistant.

Not a problem, and there is no need to irrigate suitable trees when
established.

| 3. I want to block out my neighbours view of my garden (no worries from
| their point of view - very friendly about it!) and so the ideal canoby shape
| will be about 8ft (2.5m) tall, 15ft (4.5m) wide, 3ft high. But if it gets
| bigger, not too much of a problem.

That is partially incompatible with the lack of leaves. You might
want to plant more than one tree to get the width.

| Grateful for ideas.

The Sunset New Western Gardening Book has some lists at the front
that would help, but many of the trees from Australia, the African
savanna and so on will match the requirement. You should be able
to get some with spectacular flowers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.