Old 26-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Ric

Default Maggots in the compost heap

My compost heap has got infected with maggots. Any tips on how to kill them?
Will a smoke bomb work? A bucket of bleach?

Also, how do you stop them coming back? I only put vegetable matter in the
heap, so was rather surprised to get an infestation.

Old 26-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Tim

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:41:14 +0200, Ric wrote:

My compost heap has got infected with maggots. Any tips on how to kill
them?
Will a smoke bomb work? A bucket of bleach?

Also, how do you stop them coming back? I only put vegetable matter in
the
heap, so was rather surprised to get an infestation.

There are enough maggots that live in plant matter.
It sounds like your heap is a bit too wet? Tim.
Old 26-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Drakanthus

My compost heap has got infected with maggots. Any tips on how to kill
them?
Will a smoke bomb work? A bucket of bleach?

Also, how do you stop them coming back? I only put vegetable matter in the
heap, so was rather surprised to get an infestation.

They occur when the temperature of the compost doesn't get high enough and
also sometimes when it is too wet. I wouldn't worry about them. Adding
bleach etc will just poison the compost. If you have access to lawn
clippings - mix a good quantity into the heap and the temperature will go
high enough to kill off any unwanted flies and maggots.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).