Old 29-06-2003, 06:10 PM
John Cotterill

Default Gherkin flowers

Hi all,

Just wondering what to do with all the male flowers that are developing on
my Gherkin plant, so far I've been removing them. Since this is the first
time I have grown a gherkin I'm wondering if this is correct practice.

I'm also growing the 'Crystal Lemon' cucumber do I also have to remove the
male flowers from this? I presume this will stop the cucumbers turning
bitter if I remove them but is it rearly necessary or do they need to stay
on without affecting the fruit quality.

Cheers

John

Old 30-06-2003, 06:41 AM
Alan Gould

In article , John Cotterill
writes
Hi all,

Just wondering what to do with all the male flowers that are developing on
my Gherkin plant, so far I've been removing them. Since this is the first
time I have grown a gherkin I'm wondering if this is correct practice.

I'm also growing the 'Crystal Lemon' cucumber do I also have to remove the
male flowers from this? I presume this will stop the cucumbers turning
bitter if I remove them but is it rearly necessary or do they need to stay
on without affecting the fruit quality.

We don't remove male flowers from outdoor gherkins of any type, but you
won't have done any harm to the plants other than possibly restricting
pollination. Male flowers should be removed from indoor grown non-hybrid
cucumber plants to prevent bitterness in the fruits.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 30-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"John Cotterill" writes:

| Just wondering what to do with all the male flowers that are developing on
| my Gherkin plant, so far I've been removing them. Since this is the first
| time I have grown a gherkin I'm wondering if this is correct practice.

You can eat them :-)

Otherwise, as Alan Gould says, just let the drop off naturally.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.