Old 30-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Thebluenowhere01

Default newbie allotment help please

Hello all

We have taken on an allotment and need some advise please. the first thing to
mention is that there is no water supply on the site, I have been told that
it's a good idea to place mulch around the stems to try and help to retain
moisture. But what type of mulch to use ? And will this be a problem when it
comes to hoeing the weeds, or will it help keep them down also.

Also are there any crops we could be sowing now for winter and spring or are we
to late. We already have sprouts & broccoli growing.

Location here is Northampton.

Many thanks

Steve Pearson

Old 30-06-2003, 10:32 PM
NWalch

Bark is a good mulch and will keep down the weeds. Any that do grow
through will be weak and thin and easy to pull

Black weed supressing liner from garden centres also makes a good
mulch.

Nick