GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can I recommend Sorrell to you? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/34993-can-i-recommend-sorrell-you.html)

Colin Malsingh 30-06-2003 10:08 PM

Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

I have grown Sorrell for the first time this year and it has done well
without much attention. Putting a few leaves in a salad has added a
nice crisp sharp dimension to the meal.

However, I'd heard that the French make soup with it and finally
tracked down a recipe for this in Christopher Lloyd's Kitchen Gardener
book.

This basically uses stock, potatoes, Sorrell and seasoning. The whole
family tried it for the first time this weekend and everyone loved it.

If anyone wants a recipe, I can post it to this forum. Don't be afraid
to grow some (I'm sure there's still time this year).

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)

David Hill 30-06-2003 11:20 PM

Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

If like me you are plagued with nettles .......did you know that you can use
sorrel instead of dock leaves if you are stung, in fact they work better as
they can be crushed more easily before rubbing on the sting.
Both Sorrell and dock contain anti histamines which reduce the effects of
the sting.
Also good in salad, cooked lightly like spinach

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

IntarsiaCo 30-06-2003 11:20 PM

Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

I have grown Sorrell for the first time this year and it has done well
without much attention

It can be invasive in the garden, be careful.

ned 30-06-2003 11:33 PM

Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

Which species???? There are many sorrels and most are vigorous
colonisers. Weeds. Can we presume you mean French Sorrel, (Rumex scutatus)?

--
ned

A.Malhotra 01-07-2003 08:54 AM

Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

Yeah....isn't it great, salad for free! Could never see the point in trying to nurture French or buckler-leaved sorrel which the slugs always seemed to go for in my garden when wild sorrel is just as good and there's usually plenty of it to be found and the slugs don't seem to bother it much.

You just need to keep cutting it back to generate a ready supply of salad leaves all through the summer.

Anita

Tim 01-07-2003 09:12 AM

Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

And dandilion leaves. Daisy flowers are nice.

Tim

Drakanthus 01-07-2003 10:44 AM

Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

What does it look like? I've Googled but can't find any decent pictures of it.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails will never reach me.)

Tim 01-07-2003 11:20 AM

Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

What does it look like? I've Googled but can't find any decent pictures of it.

Try he

http://knauserer.virtualave.net/pfad/sauerampfer.html
Tim.

A.Malhotra 01-07-2003 12:08 PM

Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

Thats not a very good pic: by the time it flowers the leaves are past eating, you need the young tender ones. Might be the time to consult an old-fashioned wild flower field guide!

Anita

Tim 01-07-2003 12:33 PM

Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

But at least you can recognise it for next year, and poke a stick in the ground next to it. If you find one, cut it down a bit and it'll grow fresh leaves.

It contains a lot of oxalic acid, so avoid it if you're prone to gout or
kidney stones.

http://derstandard.at/MetaAdServer/w...aromen/artikel
wild leaves: http://www.kraeuter-
almanach.de/bilder/kraeuterkatalog/lex_sauerampfer_wild.jpg
cultivated leaves: http://www.kraeuter-
almanach.de/bilder/kraeuterkatalog/lex_sauerampfer.jpg

Tim.

Steve Harris 02-07-2003 10:21 AM

Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

In article ,
(Colin Malsingh) wrote:

I have grown Sorrell for the first time this year and it has done well
without much attention.

How do you do it??? I've tried several lots of seed this year and got no
plants! :-(

Colin Malsingh 02-07-2003 12:56 PM

Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 10:19 +0100 (BST), (Steve Harris)
wrote:
I have grown Sorrell for the first time this year and it has done well

How do you do it??? I've tried several lots of seed this year and got no
plants! :-(

I just planted seeds for Large French Sorrel, obtained from Simpsons
Seeds. If I remember, I planted them indoors in seed trays at the
beginning of April.

They weren't that quick to grow and needed cloches after being put
outside before they would really thrive. They have been quite
productive for the past 4 weeks.

From what other people are saying in this thread, the problems are
going to start when these plants get established and want to travel.
Perhaps my neighbours are going to unwittingly share in this
experience.

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)

A.Malhotra 02-07-2003 02:32 PM

wrote:
I have grown Sorrell for the first time this year and it has done well

How do you do it??? I've tried several lots of seed this year and got no
plants! :-(

I just planted seeds for Large French Sorrel, obtained from Simpsons
Seeds. If I remember, I planted them indoors in seed trays at the
beginning of April.

They weren't that quick to grow and needed cloches after being put
outside before they would really thrive. They have been quite
productive for the past 4 weeks.

From what other people are saying in this thread, the problems are
going to start when these plants get established and want to travel.
Perhaps my neighbours are going to unwittingly share in this
experience.

Colin

Thought the discussion was mostly about wild sorrel: as I said, I never had
much success keeping the slugs away from the cultivated sort, they never
got a chance to spread!
Anita

Gadget 02-07-2003 06:44 PM

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Colin Malsingh wrote:
However, I'd heard that the French make soup with it and finally
tracked down a recipe for this in Christopher Lloyd's Kitchen Gardener
book.

This basically uses stock, potatoes, Sorrell and seasoning. The whole
family tried it for the first time this weekend and everyone loved it.

If anyone wants a recipe, I can post it to this forum.

Fire away, I'm all ears.

--
Gadget
to email me direct use;

[email protected] 02-07-2003 08:20 PM

Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:11:26 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

If like me you are plagued with nettles .......did you know that you can use
sorrel instead of dock leaves if you are stung, in fact they work better as
they can be crushed more easily before rubbing on the sting.
Both Sorrell and dock contain anti histamines which reduce the effects of
the sting.

That's very interesting David. I often wondered how they worked. Do
you have any details (website etc.) that has identified the
antihistamine chemical component?
Regards
Geoff