Old 30-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Colin Malsingh

Default Can I recommend Sorrell to you?

I have grown Sorrell for the first time this year and it has done well
without much attention. Putting a few leaves in a salad has added a
nice crisp sharp dimension to the meal.

However, I'd heard that the French make soup with it and finally
tracked down a recipe for this in Christopher Lloyd's Kitchen Gardener
book.

This basically uses stock, potatoes, Sorrell and seasoning. The whole
family tried it for the first time this weekend and everyone loved it.

If anyone wants a recipe, I can post it to this forum. Don't be afraid
to grow some (I'm sure there's still time this year).

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)
Old 30-06-2003, 11:20 PM
David Hill

If like me you are plagued with nettles .......did you know that you can use
sorrel instead of dock leaves if you are stung, in fact they work better as
they can be crushed more easily before rubbing on the sting.
Both Sorrell and dock contain anti histamines which reduce the effects of
the sting.
Also good in salad, cooked lightly like spinach

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 30-06-2003, 11:20 PM
IntarsiaCo

I have grown Sorrell for the first time this year and it has done well
without much attention

It can be invasive in the garden, be careful.
Old 30-06-2003, 11:33 PM
ned

Which species???? There are many sorrels and most are vigorous
colonisers. Weeds. Can we presume you mean French Sorrel, (Rumex scutatus)?

--
ned
Old 01-07-2003, 08:54 AM
A.Malhotra

Yeah....isn't it great, salad for free! Could never see the point in trying to nurture French or buckler-leaved sorrel which the slugs always seemed to go for in my garden when wild sorrel is just as good and there's usually plenty of it to be found and the slugs don't seem to bother it much.

You just need to keep cutting it back to generate a ready supply of salad leaves all through the summer.

Anita

Old 01-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Tim

And dandilion leaves. Daisy flowers are nice.

Tim
Old 01-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Drakanthus

What does it look like? I've Googled but can't find any decent pictures of it.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails will never reach me.)
Old 01-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Tim

What does it look like? I've Googled but can't find any decent pictures of it.

Try he

http://knauserer.virtualave.net/pfad/sauerampfer.html
Tim.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:08 PM
A.Malhotra

Thats not a very good pic: by the time it flowers the leaves are past eating, you need the young tender ones. Might be the time to consult an old-fashioned wild flower field guide!

Anita
Old 01-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Tim

But at least you can recognise it for next year, and poke a stick in the ground next to it. If you find one, cut it down a bit and it'll grow fresh leaves.

It contains a lot of oxalic acid, so avoid it if you're prone to gout or
kidney stones.

http://derstandard.at/MetaAdServer/w...aromen/artikel
wild leaves: http://www.kraeuter-
almanach.de/bilder/kraeuterkatalog/lex_sauerampfer_wild.jpg
cultivated leaves: http://www.kraeuter-
almanach.de/bilder/kraeuterkatalog/lex_sauerampfer.jpg

Tim.

Old 02-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Gadget

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Colin Malsingh wrote:
However, I'd heard that the French make soup with it and finally
tracked down a recipe for this in Christopher Lloyd's Kitchen Gardener
book.

This basically uses stock, potatoes, Sorrell and seasoning. The whole
family tried it for the first time this weekend and everyone loved it.

If anyone wants a recipe, I can post it to this forum.

Fire away, I'm all ears.

--
Gadget
to email me direct use;
Old 02-07-2003, 08:20 PM

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:11:26 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

If like me you are plagued with nettles .......did you know that you can use
sorrel instead of dock leaves if you are stung, in fact they work better as
they can be crushed more easily before rubbing on the sting.
Both Sorrell and dock contain anti histamines which reduce the effects of
the sting.

That's very interesting David. I often wondered how they worked. Do
you have any details (website etc.) that has identified the
antihistamine chemical component?
Regards
Geoff