Old 02-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Neil Trotter

Default Territorial Tomatoes?

Well that's one theory. A horticultrual noob, I'm prepared to believe
anything that's either true or amusing.

I have a couple of Alicante Tomato plants in the conservatory, climbing
8ft canes which are lashed at the top to the rafters, and one of them is
now taller than me. That's about 1.75m or 5'9". I expect they would be
even taller in a greenhouse.

The smaller of the two plants has developed yellow mottling on the
leaves, originating between the veins, but then spreading until the
leaves die off. Working on the theory that this is due to a magnesium
deficiency, I have obtained a different brand of tomato food (J. Arthur
Bower's), which has 0.048% Mg content, as compared with Tomorite
(Levington), which has 0.018% Mg.

D.G. Hessayon (The Vegetable & Herb Expert) confuses me a little, as he
suggests that this is made worse by standard feeding. I've been unable
to get my hands on Mg-based fertilizer or epsom salts, so I've switched
to the Bower's feed for the time being.

This yellowing of the leaves is progressing from the lower stem upwards
as you might expect, but the interesting part is that it's occurring
absolutely consistently in the 180-degree arc which *faces* the other
plant. Though it seems unlikely, it makes me wonder if tomatoes compete
for space in some way once they get to a certain stage of growth.

The 2 plants are 2'6" apart, which is quite close, but the leaves were
never touching, so they didn't *seem* crowded.

Any observations would be welcome, especially on how to remedy plant B,
which is completely healthy on the East Side, but has plant A to the
West.

--Neil.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK
Old 02-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Ron

"Neil Trotter" wrote in message

. . . . . Snip . . . .I've been unable
to get my hands on . . . snip . . epsom salts

Snip

Where does one expect chemicals to be? In a chemist's shop would be the
first and, for epsom salts, the correct guess.

Ron

Old 02-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Neil Trotter

In article , Ron said:

Where does one expect chemicals to be? In a chemist's shop would be the
first and, for epsom salts, the correct guess.

Thanks, Ron :-) It's my intention to call there next time I do a run
into town -- I thought I might find them in the liver salts area at
Waitrose, but like erasmic shaving sticks, it seems they may be one of
the old-fashioned commodities only found these days, as you suggest, in
chemists.

--Neil.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK

Are dragonflies territorial? Galen Hekhuis Ponds 10 22-06-2006 04:14 AM
Territorial Fish? Susan H. Simko Ponds 3 29-04-2004 01:06 PM
Territorial mockingbird hogging feeder [email protected] North Carolina 20 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
non-scented stuff, was Territorial mockingbird hogging feeder Anne Lurie North Carolina 1 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Territorial mockingbird hogging feeder Daniel B. Martin North Carolina 3 19-02-2003 02:14 PM