Old 03-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Tiny Weevils - I think there's a plague of them eating my garden - please help

Hi

I'm finding very small brownish-grey long-snouted weevils everywhere in
my garden and I think they might have originated in a couple of packs of
dwarf stocks I bought recently, as I found them all over these plants
initially. They hide in the flower buds and are hard to remove and
there are so many of them it's frightening.

I went on the web and thought I'd identified them as Curculio
salicivorus but now I'm not so sure as they're eating different things
than this weevil is supposed to.

I think they have spread all over the garden, they can fly too. I'm
finding holes and dreadful damage all over allysum plants, wallflowers,
nasturtiums which are now going yellow and dying and although I haven't
found them on my young rowan tree, I think the damage matches up and
every single leaf seems affected.

I'm getting quite worried that they are going to have a population
explosion and will devastate my whole garden. I haven't tried
Armillotox yet, I thought that might just be for vine weevil? Does it
just kill the larvae or will it also work on the adults - I'm finding
small adults now as well, suggesting that they are still
hatching/breeding. Does anyone know if I should inform some insect-
monitoring body? Could these be a notifiable pest?

I really hope that somebody can suggest something because I'm seeing all
my hard work, time and quite a lot of money going down the drain fast.

Thanks.

Lynda

Old 03-07-2003, 11:44 PM
bnd777

If I was you I would use Armillotox QUICK it wont do any harm to the plants
or the soil
Also spraying with a soap solution might help