Old 04-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Steve

Default How can I feed my lawn at a sensible price?

I have a fairly large lawn on a sandy soil which seems to need regular
feeding to keep it green. So far, I've used the B&Q type boxes of granular
Feed & Weed and Miracle Gro Soluble Lawn Food through a hose end sprayer.
Both green it up for a while, although I can't seem to get an even effect
over the whole area.
My main problem is the cost - to apply it at the recommended rate is costing
me about £30 per application. Apply any less and it doesn't seem to work.
There must be a cheaper way. Can the stuff that farmers use can be bought
by the sack? If so, where, and how should I apply it?
Can anybody recommend an effective and less expensive way of keeping my
lawn green?

TIA

Steve

---

Old 04-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Justin Thyme

Moved in to present house 3 years ago and have used one generous dose of
Growmore late Spring each year. I treat weeds more or less individually
with selective weedkiller by spray. The lawn has gone from strength to
strength.. Regular mowing, annual scarification and spiking have worked
wonders. Growmore is dirt cheap in comparison with lawn specific
treatments. Just make sure you water it in well if application not soon
followed by rain.

Old 04-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Justin wrote in message
Moved in to present house 3 years ago and have used one generous dose of
Growmore late Spring each year. I treat weeds more or less individually
with selective weedkiller by spray. The lawn has gone from strength to
strength.. Regular mowing, annual scarification and spiking have worked
wonders. Growmore is dirt cheap in comparison with lawn specific
treatments. Just make sure you water it in well if application not soon
followed by rain.

I'll second that recommendation. The specific Lawn Feed & Weed stuff is very
expensive but Growmore can be bought in large sacks, is relatively cheap,
and does the job of greening the lawn well, doesn't weed though.
You can also buy some Seaweed Extract or Meal to put on your lawn which
provides a lot of the minerals it need, again, buy in bulk from somewhere
like N A Kays.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Liz

Justin Thyme wrote in message
Moved in to present house 3 years ago and have used one generous dose of
Growmore late Spring each year. I treat weeds more or less individually
with selective weedkiller by spray. The lawn has gone from strength to
strength.. Regular mowing, annual scarification and spiking have worked
wonders. Growmore is dirt cheap in comparison with lawn specific
treatments. Just make sure you water it in well if application not soon
followed by rain.

Thank you!!

I've been wondering for years whether one could use growmore on lawns, but
haven't asked because I thought "If you could, everyone would be doing it."
Also, I thought "why wouldn't Growmore be marketed for this purpose?", then
I thought 'because they get more dosh from marketing Lawngrow Plus."

Liz