Old 04-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Roger Van Loon

Default Growing Clematis from seed? Then read this

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote:

Hi,
I have been gradually increasing my population of Clematis, mainly on the
North side of the house, and some are still flowering whilst others are
over.
One particularly produced a myriad of fluffy seeds which dropped in and
around the pot within which it is growing.
This prompted a thought:
"If the Clematis produces loads of seeds each year, why is my garden not
knee deep in Clematis seedlings?".
Has anyone grown Clematis from home produced seed?
Just wondering if it is possible - I presume you could get all sorts of
wierd and wonderful crosses.
TIA
Dave R

You are all clearly in need of this site:
http://www.richardsdad.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm
Mind you - some seed may take more than a year to germinate.
Best of luck,
Roger.
Old 31-07-2003, 02:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester UK
Thumbs up Clematis from seed

Hope the site (clematis from seed) proved of use!

Brian Collingwood
Old 09-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Registered User

Location: London

Have produced clematis from seed but find air layering to be most successful method as you over-winter the cutting still attached to the host. I lost too many seedlings the other way. I would do this only to have the excitement of maybe finding a new cultivar.

Am absolute amateur but it goes thus:

After last frost take trailing stem and make a nick in it which you dip in rooting hormone, apparently this has anti bacterial qualities as well. I find a way of elevating a pot containing sterile soil and weight down the nicked stem into this. Leave it in this position until the next spring when you can separate it from the mother plant.

good luck with your seed