GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Black Fly (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/35487-black-fly.html)

snebbiedee 04-07-2003 09:41 PM

Black Fly

I have found that I have got black fly on one of my Fushcias, can someone please tell me how to get rid of them, safely and quickly, so they dont spread to anyother plants.:confused:

Nick Maclaren 04-07-2003 10:08 PM

Black Fly

In article m,
snebbiedee wrote:
I have found that I have got black fly on one of my Fushcias, can
someone please tell me how to get rid of them, safely and quickly, so
they dont spread to anyother plants.:confused:

They will, anyway. Spray bad infestations with soft soap or a
solution of washing up liquid with a small amount of methylated
spirits.

The Devil's Advocate 05-07-2003 01:56 PM

Black Fly

rub them out with your fingers and they will die out

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk
"snebbiedee" wrote in message
s.com...
: I have found that I have got black fly on one of my Fushcias, can
: someone please tell me how to get rid of them, safely and quickly, so
: they dont spread to anyother plants.:confused:
: --
: snebbiedee
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
:

Rhiannon Macfie Miller 08-07-2003 01:07 AM

Black Fly

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article m,
snebbiedee wrote:

I have found that I have got black fly on one of my Fushcias, can
someone please tell me how to get rid of them, safely and quickly, so
they dont spread to anyother plants.:confused:

They will, anyway. Spray bad infestations with soft soap or a
solution of washing up liquid with a small amount of methylated
spirits.

What's the meths for? Ours die very efficiently on washing-up liquid alone.

Rhiannon

Nick Maclaren 08-07-2003 08:32 AM

Black Fly

In article ,
Rhiannon Macfie Miller wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article m,
snebbiedee wrote:

I have found that I have got black fly on one of my Fushcias, can
someone please tell me how to get rid of them, safely and quickly, so
they dont spread to anyother plants.:confused:

They will, anyway. Spray bad infestations with soft soap or a
solution of washing up liquid with a small amount of methylated
spirits.

What's the meths for? Ours die very efficiently on washing-up liquid alone.

It also reduces the surface tension a bit, or that is what I understand.
Anyway, it is recommended for use both for window cleaning and killing
aphids. Whether its makes a significant difference, I can't say.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Colin Malsingh 10-07-2003 12:37 AM

Black Fly

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 21:04:45 GMT, snebbiedee
wrote:

I have found that I have got black fly on one of my Fushcias, can
someone please tell me how to get rid of them, safely and quickly,

I too have blackfly on some Okra in my greenhouse. It's only on 2 of
the 8 plants I have but is making one of them very sick.

The leaves are starting to go yellowy/brown and I've noticed that a
section of the main stem has gone a dry brown colour (feels like it is
rotting away).

So far, I have tried using Pyrethium spray, used a spraygun to try &
dislodge the bugs and also sprayed with something on sale in the UK
called "Biosept" which is supposed to act as a foliar vitamin feed to
help improve plant's resistance to fungal infections (which is what I
believe aphids eventually cause).

Any other ideas, or do you think I just had one or two weak plants
that were going to be susceptible?

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)