Old 04-07-2003, 09:41 PM
Registered User

Location: kent (garden of england)
Angry Black Fly

I have found that I have got black fly on one of my Fushcias, can someone please tell me how to get rid of them, safely and quickly, so they dont spread to anyother plants.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Black Fly

In article m,
snebbiedee wrote:
I have found that I have got black fly on one of my Fushcias, can
someone please tell me how to get rid of them, safely and quickly, so
they dont spread to anyother plants.

They will, anyway. Spray bad infestations with soft soap or a
solution of washing up liquid with a small amount of methylated
spirits.

Old 05-07-2003, 01:56 PM
The Devil's Advocate

rub them out with your fingers and they will die out

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk
"snebbiedee" wrote in message
s.com...
: I have found that I have got black fly on one of my Fushcias, can
: someone please tell me how to get rid of them, safely and quickly, so
: they dont spread to anyother plants.
: --
: snebbiedee
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
:

Old 08-07-2003, 01:07 AM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article m,
snebbiedee wrote:

I have found that I have got black fly on one of my Fushcias, can
someone please tell me how to get rid of them, safely and quickly, so
they dont spread to anyother plants.

They will, anyway. Spray bad infestations with soft soap or a
solution of washing up liquid with a small amount of methylated
spirits.

What's the meths for? Ours die very efficiently on washing-up liquid alone.

Rhiannon

Old 08-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rhiannon Macfie Miller wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article m,
snebbiedee wrote:

I have found that I have got black fly on one of my Fushcias, can
someone please tell me how to get rid of them, safely and quickly, so
they dont spread to anyother plants.

They will, anyway. Spray bad infestations with soft soap or a
solution of washing up liquid with a small amount of methylated
spirits.

What's the meths for? Ours die very efficiently on washing-up liquid alone.

It also reduces the surface tension a bit, or that is what I understand.
Anyway, it is recommended for use both for window cleaning and killing
aphids. Whether its makes a significant difference, I can't say.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 10-07-2003, 12:37 AM
Colin Malsingh

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 21:04:45 GMT, snebbiedee
wrote:

I have found that I have got black fly on one of my Fushcias, can
someone please tell me how to get rid of them, safely and quickly,

I too have blackfly on some Okra in my greenhouse. It's only on 2 of
the 8 plants I have but is making one of them very sick.

The leaves are starting to go yellowy/brown and I've noticed that a
section of the main stem has gone a dry brown colour (feels like it is
rotting away).

So far, I have tried using Pyrethium spray, used a spraygun to try &
dislodge the bugs and also sprayed with something on sale in the UK
called "Biosept" which is supposed to act as a foliar vitamin feed to
help improve plant's resistance to fungal infections (which is what I
believe aphids eventually cause).

Any other ideas, or do you think I just had one or two weak plants
that were going to be susceptible?

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)