Old 06-07-2003, 07:20 PM
ferret

Default Question about Lavender

Hi All,
I'm new to this group (and gardening). Is there any way to stop
Lavenders from going "woody"? Maybe cut them right down in the winter? Also,
what's the best moss killer for drives and paths?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Brian Watson

"ferret" wrote in message
Hi All,
I'm new to this group (and gardening). Is there any way to stop
Lavenders from going "woody"? Maybe cut them right down in the winter?

Also,
what's the best moss killer for drives and paths?

If you cut them back quite hard, but leave some leaf for regrowth from the
axils, you will extend the period before which it is better to rip it all
out and start again.
--
Brian
"I know about kittens and knitting. Will that do?"

Old 09-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Janice

On a tv programme a while ago (something to do with lavender farming in
England) the chap said to just go ahead and cut the plant back hard each
year, right after flowering. He said something about his plants having been
there for years, he'd never replaced them and they were still healthy, and
that it's a myth not to cut back hard. Having said that, however, all the
books I've read say NOT to cut back into the old wood.

Last year I cut back my lavender really hard, not quite into the old wood
but I didn't leave much. They're doing really well this year. YMMV.

Regards,