Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2003, 06:57 PM
sw

Default Scab-resistant potatoes?

I grew potatoes for the first time this year, and was thrilled by the
flavour of the Red Epicure served less than an hour after lifting. Yum.
(Ratte is less impressive.) Unfortunately, we're on chalk and almost
every potato has what I think is scab: rough brown patches, raised above
the adjacent smooth skin. Some tubers were completely covered by it; I
scraped it off and cooked them anyway, but I'd like to avoid it or at
least decrease the incidence in future. Growing in containers is one
option, but are there any well-flavoured scab-resistant varieties? I've
read that planting into grass-cuttings and mulching with grass-cuttings
is a good idea; does anyone know if this works?

regards
sarah

--
Waist deep, neck deep