Old 13-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Steve Jackson

Default sweet william

Having cut off the now finished flower stems from my sweet william, is
it worth leaving the plant in situ for next year?

I seem to remember that they are b1-annuals - is that right?
--
Steve
Old 13-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Drakanthus

Having cut off the now finished flower stems from my sweet william, is
it worth leaving the plant in situ for next year?

I seem to remember that they are b1-annuals - is that right?
--
Steve

I like to leave a few flower heads on because they self seed and you can get
a good display year after year for free that way.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 13-07-2003, 12:08 PM
John Cotterill

I've a patch of sweet williams that is now four years old and always flowers
every year.

Although I think its time to start a new patch just so that I can get rid of
the weeds infesting the area.

It's a good idea to leave on the seed heads as the seed produced grows
readily into new plants and at no cost.

John

Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Steve Jackson
writes
Having cut off the now finished flower stems from my sweet william, is
it worth leaving the plant in situ for next year?

yes - I have a clump that have been going for several years.

I seem to remember that they are b1-annuals - is that right?

They are perennials which are treated as biennials. They do tend to
deteriorate after a few years, and they are straggly plants, so
gardeners appreciate being able to clear the ground and plant something
else.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Sweet William seedlings? Broadback[_3_] United Kingdom 3 04-10-2012 06:33 PM
Divide Sweet William KD Gardening 1 29-06-2006 02:02 PM
sweet william COLIN RICHARDSON United Kingdom 2 07-10-2005 12:04 AM
she wants to burn sweet codes throughout William's swamp [email protected] United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 02:55 PM
Bare rooted Sweet William plants -- where to get them ?? Bob United Kingdom 2 29-09-2002 06:48 PM