GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hardy Fuschias in pots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/36490-hardy-fuschias-pots.html)

Serena Blanchflower 13-07-2003 11:14 PM

Hardy Fuschias in pots

I've got a couple of permanent pots outside, made from old chimney pots,
which I'm thinking of putting a fuschias in. Will hardy fuschias be OK
in these over the winter or should I get bedding fuschias and either
bring them in each winter or take cuttings? I'm in Hampshire, if that
makes a difference to the likely hood of a fuschia surviving the winter.

--
Cheers, Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)

Natalie 13-07-2003 11:14 PM

Hardy Fuschias in pots

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in
message ...

I've got a couple of permanent pots outside, made from old chimney pots,
which I'm thinking of putting a fuschias in. Will hardy fuschias be OK
in these over the winter or should I get bedding fuschias and either
bring them in each winter or take cuttings? I'm in Hampshire, if that
makes a difference to the likely hood of a fuschia surviving the winter.

If it is a hardy fuchsia then there should be no problem it staying outside.
I have trained F. genii into a standard which lives in a pot in the garden
all year.

Natalie

Jim W 13-07-2003 11:23 PM

Hardy Fuschias in pots

Serena Blanchflower wrote:

I've got a couple of permanent pots outside, made from old chimney pots,
which I'm thinking of putting a fuschias in. Will hardy fuschias be OK
in these over the winter or should I get bedding fuschias and either
bring them in each winter or take cuttings? I'm in Hampshire, if that
makes a difference to the likely hood of a fuschia surviving the winter.

Hardys 'should' be OK in pots in the winter although bear in mind that
the roots will be more exposed to frost than if in a well mulched bed..

If in doubt take 'backup cuttings' and overwinter somewhere protected,
or at very least wrap some protection around the pots and/or move to
sheltered position. In general though Hardy types are just that, pretty
tough!-)
//
Jim

hendo2002 13-07-2003 11:33 PM

Hardy Fuschias in pots

I live in N. Lincs and have had many fuschias over the years in pots and
left them outside all year with no problems at all, a good feed and a bit of
fresh compost in the spring and bobs your uncle up they come :-)
"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fy24yx.1aagbgjzaijp2N%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

Serena Blanchflower 14-07-2003 10:47 AM

Hardy Fuschias in pots

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:57:52 +0100,
(Jim W) wrote:

Hardys 'should' be OK in pots in the winter although bear in mind that
the roots will be more exposed to frost than if in a well mulched bed..

Yes, that's what I was worried about; thanks for the reassurance.

If in doubt take 'backup cuttings' and overwinter somewhere protected,
or at very least wrap some protection around the pots and/or move to
sheltered position. In general though Hardy types are just that, pretty
tough!-)

Backup cuttings sound like a good idea, at least until I am confident
that they have a good chance! Unfortunately, moving the pots isn't an
option as, not only are they big and heavy, they are cemented to the
paving. Before someone asks, yes, they do have drainage holes!