Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Serena Blanchflower

Default Hardy Fuschias in pots

I've got a couple of permanent pots outside, made from old chimney pots,
which I'm thinking of putting a fuschias in. Will hardy fuschias be OK
in these over the winter or should I get bedding fuschias and either
bring them in each winter or take cuttings? I'm in Hampshire, if that
makes a difference to the likely hood of a fuschia surviving the winter.

--
Cheers, Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)
Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Natalie

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in
message ...

I've got a couple of permanent pots outside, made from old chimney pots,
which I'm thinking of putting a fuschias in. Will hardy fuschias be OK
in these over the winter or should I get bedding fuschias and either
bring them in each winter or take cuttings? I'm in Hampshire, if that
makes a difference to the likely hood of a fuschia surviving the winter.

If it is a hardy fuchsia then there should be no problem it staying outside.
I have trained F. genii into a standard which lives in a pot in the garden
all year.

Natalie

Old 13-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Jim W

Serena Blanchflower wrote:

I've got a couple of permanent pots outside, made from old chimney pots,
which I'm thinking of putting a fuschias in. Will hardy fuschias be OK
in these over the winter or should I get bedding fuschias and either
bring them in each winter or take cuttings? I'm in Hampshire, if that
makes a difference to the likely hood of a fuschia surviving the winter.

Hardys 'should' be OK in pots in the winter although bear in mind that
the roots will be more exposed to frost than if in a well mulched bed..

If in doubt take 'backup cuttings' and overwinter somewhere protected,
or at very least wrap some protection around the pots and/or move to
sheltered position. In general though Hardy types are just that, pretty
tough!-)
//
Jim
Old 13-07-2003, 11:33 PM
hendo2002

I live in N. Lincs and have had many fuschias over the years in pots and
left them outside all year with no problems at all, a good feed and a bit of
fresh compost in the spring and bobs your uncle up they come :-)
"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fy24yx.1aagbgjzaijp2N%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Serena Blanchflower wrote:

I've got a couple of permanent pots outside, made from old chimney pots,
which I'm thinking of putting a fuschias in. Will hardy fuschias be OK
in these over the winter or should I get bedding fuschias and either
bring them in each winter or take cuttings? I'm in Hampshire, if that
makes a difference to the likely hood of a fuschia surviving the winter.

Hardys 'should' be OK in pots in the winter although bear in mind that
the roots will be more exposed to frost than if in a well mulched bed..

If in doubt take 'backup cuttings' and overwinter somewhere protected,
or at very least wrap some protection around the pots and/or move to
sheltered position. In general though Hardy types are just that, pretty
tough!-)
//
Jim

Propagating fuschias Baal United Kingdom 10 30-06-2006 12:12 AM
Transplanting Fuschias? Pete Gardening 3 06-10-2005 04:00 PM
Fuschias, upright variety ? [email protected] Gardening 1 21-05-2005 12:49 AM
fuschias gh United Kingdom 2 18-08-2003 01:22 PM
my fuschias have come back from the dead :) nicky United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 09:20 AM