GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cucumber plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/36570-cucumber-plants.html)

paul 14-07-2003 04:27 PM

cucumber plants

is there any reason why my cucumber plants would be producing male flowers
by the dozen but not producing any fruit.

is there anything I can do to try and promote more fruit growth and less
male flower growth.

Alan Gould 14-07-2003 08:52 PM

cucumber plants

In article , paul
writes
is there any reason why my cucumber plants would be producing male flowers
by the dozen but not producing any fruit.

is there anything I can do to try and promote more fruit growth and less
male flower growth.

Cucumbers like high humidity and temperature. If they are in a
greenhouse, keep the lights mostly shut, but any tomatoes in there will
not like that.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Paul Flackett 14-07-2003 11:54 PM

cucumber plants

In message , Alan Gould
writes
In article , paul
writes
is there any reason why my cucumber plants would be producing male flowers
by the dozen but not producing any fruit.

is there anything I can do to try and promote more fruit growth and less
male flower growth.

Cucumbers like high humidity and temperature.

Mine doesn't seem to know that as it is presently growing out through
the permanently open low vent. I took my first fruit off it yesterday
and there are several more ripening up as we speak. It is an all female
variety. In fact I can't understand why anyone still grows the old
varieties where you have to be on guard 24 hours a day to stop
fertilisation ;-)
--
Paul Flackett

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

paul 15-07-2003 09:57 AM

cucumber plants

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
is there any reason why my cucumber plants would be producing male flowers
by the dozen but not producing any fruit.

is there anything I can do to try and promote more fruit growth and less
male flower growth.

what variety of cucumber is it that you are growing that has only female
flowers.

paul 15-07-2003 09:57 AM

cucumber plants

"Paul Flackett" wrote in message
In message , Alan Gould
writes
In article , paul
writes
is there any reason why my cucumber plants would be producing male

flowers
by the dozen but not producing any fruit.

is there anything I can do to try and promote more fruit growth and less
male flower growth.

Cucumbers like high humidity and temperature.

Mine doesn't seem to know that as it is presently growing out through
the permanently open low vent. I took my first fruit off it yesterday
and there are several more ripening up as we speak. It is an all female
variety. In fact I can't understand why anyone still grows the old
varieties where you have to be on guard 24 hours a day to stop
fertilisation ;-)
--
Paul Flackett

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

what variety of cucumber are you growing that produces only female flowers
on it.

shannie 17-07-2003 12:43 AM

cucumber plants

"paul" wrote in message
. ..

what variety of cucumber is it that you are growing that has only female
flowers.

Hi Paul,
Im growing cucumbers for the first time ever this year, it's an all female
variety called petita, the fruit only reach 8-9" but are very sweet and
moist, they seem very happy in the same house as tomatoes although the tom's
are near the front and the cucumbers are at the back. Only problem we've had
is earwigs crawling into the unopened flowers and have damaged one or two
fruitlets, but as we have about sixty between the two triphods, sorry
cucumbers, it's little price to pay.

Shan

David Hill 17-07-2003 12:43 AM

cucumber plants

There are several "all female" varieties of cucumber available, BUT if grown
at a lower temp. they will produce Male flowers as well.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Paul Flackett 17-07-2003 12:43 AM

cucumber plants

In message , paul
writes

"paul" wrote in message
is there any reason why my cucumber plants would be producing male flowers
by the dozen but not producing any fruit.

is there anything I can do to try and promote more fruit growth and less
male flower growth.

what variety of cucumber is it that you are growing that has only female
flowers.

Futura, an F1 hybrid. It is a full-sized fruit. Last year a grew a mini
variety which were all female also.

--
Paul Flackett

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.