Old 14-07-2003, 04:27 PM
paul

Default cucumber plants

is there any reason why my cucumber plants would be producing male flowers
by the dozen but not producing any fruit.

is there anything I can do to try and promote more fruit growth and less
male flower growth.

Old 14-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Alan Gould

In article , paul
writes
is there any reason why my cucumber plants would be producing male flowers
by the dozen but not producing any fruit.

is there anything I can do to try and promote more fruit growth and less
male flower growth.

Cucumbers like high humidity and temperature. If they are in a
greenhouse, keep the lights mostly shut, but any tomatoes in there will
not like that.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 14-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Paul Flackett

In message , Alan Gould
writes
In article , paul
writes
is there any reason why my cucumber plants would be producing male flowers
by the dozen but not producing any fruit.

is there anything I can do to try and promote more fruit growth and less
male flower growth.

Cucumbers like high humidity and temperature.

Mine doesn't seem to know that as it is presently growing out through
the permanently open low vent. I took my first fruit off it yesterday
and there are several more ripening up as we speak. It is an all female
variety. In fact I can't understand why anyone still grows the old
varieties where you have to be on guard 24 hours a day to stop
fertilisation ;-)
--
Paul Flackett

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.
Old 15-07-2003, 09:57 AM
paul

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
is there any reason why my cucumber plants would be producing male flowers
by the dozen but not producing any fruit.

is there anything I can do to try and promote more fruit growth and less
male flower growth.

what variety of cucumber is it that you are growing that has only female
flowers.

Old 15-07-2003, 09:57 AM
paul

"Paul Flackett" wrote in message
In message , Alan Gould
writes
In article , paul
writes
is there any reason why my cucumber plants would be producing male

flowers
by the dozen but not producing any fruit.

is there anything I can do to try and promote more fruit growth and less
male flower growth.

Cucumbers like high humidity and temperature.

Mine doesn't seem to know that as it is presently growing out through
the permanently open low vent. I took my first fruit off it yesterday
and there are several more ripening up as we speak. It is an all female
variety. In fact I can't understand why anyone still grows the old
varieties where you have to be on guard 24 hours a day to stop
fertilisation ;-)
--
Paul Flackett

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

what variety of cucumber are you growing that produces only female flowers
on it.

Old 17-07-2003, 12:43 AM
shannie

"paul" wrote in message
. ..

what variety of cucumber is it that you are growing that has only female
flowers.

Hi Paul,
Im growing cucumbers for the first time ever this year, it's an all female
variety called petita, the fruit only reach 8-9" but are very sweet and
moist, they seem very happy in the same house as tomatoes although the tom's
are near the front and the cucumbers are at the back. Only problem we've had
is earwigs crawling into the unopened flowers and have damaged one or two
fruitlets, but as we have about sixty between the two triphods, sorry
cucumbers, it's little price to pay.

Shan

Old 17-07-2003, 12:43 AM
David Hill

There are several "all female" varieties of cucumber available, BUT if grown
at a lower temp. they will produce Male flowers as well.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 17-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Paul Flackett

In message , paul
writes

"paul" wrote in message
is there any reason why my cucumber plants would be producing male flowers
by the dozen but not producing any fruit.

is there anything I can do to try and promote more fruit growth and less
male flower growth.

what variety of cucumber is it that you are growing that has only female
flowers.

Futura, an F1 hybrid. It is a full-sized fruit. Last year a grew a mini
variety which were all female also.

--
Paul Flackett

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.