Old 30-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Kay

Default Courgette Catastrophe

In article , David W.E. Roberts
writes

"Jill" wrote in message

andrewpreece Wrote:
My first attempt at growing courgettes ( in the greenhouse ) is going
badly wrong. There is a little bit of white mould on the leaves,
though
nothing too serious,

snip
The leaves on my outdoor courgettes have white/grey markings but I assumed
this was normal.
Doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Yes, some of them have silvery markings, very attractive. White mould is
possibly mildew, and can be rubbed off - it's worse if the soil is too
dry.
--
Kay

Old 30-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Jill
writes

andrewpreece Wrote:
My first attempt at growing courgettes ( in the greenhouse ) is going
badly wrong. There is a little bit of white mould on the leaves,
though

nothing too serious, but every time a courgette gets going, the flower
end

goes yellow, then brown and soft, then rot proceeds back towards the
base,

the courgette eventually ending up as a soggy rotten blob covered in
grey

mould. Is there an effective cure?

That sometimes happens if the plant isn't robust enough to support
developing fruits. Or if they are being nibbled by rodents and/or
submerged under water.

I have a similar problem on outdoor courgettes yet the same plants are
also producing some excellent (and enormous) vegetables. Have you
found out what this is?

Sometimes blossom end rot can get established when it is cold and damp
like this summer has been recently. It was positively arctic up here
last weekend for the Cleveland Show. Mine are being awkward too.

This year some have gone chloritic and have a bunch of yellowed leaves -
despite everything else in the same bed being perfectly OK. I guess it
is just too cold outside this year for them to grow away properly.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown