Old 20-07-2003, 10:37 PM
Rick McGreal

Default Potato 'Fruit'

My potato plants have just finished flowering....
I removed the flowers from some and left them on others to see if it made
any real difference to the crops....

And now they have produced 'Fruit'
They are very much like a thick-skinned grape only much darker...
About an inch ling and a half-inch in diameter..And very firm

Are they worth keeping?

Can I use them as seeds for future plants?
Old 20-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rick McGreal
writes
My potato plants have just finished flowering....
I removed the flowers from some and left them on others to see if it made
any real difference to the crops....

And now they have produced 'Fruit'
They are very much like a thick-skinned grape only much darker...
About an inch ling and a half-inch in diameter..And very firm

Are they worth keeping?

Can I use them as seeds for future plants?

I'm not sure whether the fruits fully ripen here. And I imagine it would
be a lot slower than even growing potatoes from peelings!

Could be fun as an experiment.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 21-07-2003, 08:02 AM
Pam Moore

On 20 Jul 2003 20:58:02 GMT, Rick McGreal wrote:

My potato plants have just finished flowering....
I removed the flowers from some and left them on others to see if it made
any real difference to the crops....

And now they have produced 'Fruit'
They are very much like a thick-skinned grape only much darker...
About an inch ling and a half-inch in diameter..And very firm

Are they worth keeping?

Can I use them as seeds for future plants?

They are poisonous so beware.

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-07-2003, 09:24 AM
David Rance

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Rick McGreal wrote:

My potato plants have just finished flowering....
I removed the flowers from some and left them on others to see if it made
any real difference to the crops....

And now they have produced 'Fruit'
They are very much like a thick-skinned grape only much darker...
About an inch ling and a half-inch in diameter..And very firm

Are they worth keeping?

Can I use them as seeds for future plants?

Yes, I've done it, but you won't get the same type as the one they came
from. Nevertheless you will have a strain free from viruses.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 21-07-2003, 09:25 AM
David Rance

Old 21-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Rick McGreal

Kay Easton wrote in
:

I'm not sure whether the fruits fully ripen here. And I imagine it
would be a lot slower than even growing potatoes from peelings!
Could be fun as an experiment.

Hmmm....

I just want to say thank you for all the replies...

I will pot it in a small pot and see what happens...
Nothing ventured nothing gained....

And if it fails I won't have laid out any cash...So no harm there...

Thanks everyone!

Old 21-07-2003, 09:25 AM
David Rance

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Pam Moore wrote:

My potato plants have just finished flowering....
I removed the flowers from some and left them on others to see if it made
any real difference to the crops....

And now they have produced 'Fruit'
They are very much like a thick-skinned grape only much darker...
About an inch ling and a half-inch in diameter..And very firm

Are they worth keeping?
Can I use them as seeds for future plants?

They are poisonous so beware.

One should never attempt to eat the fruit as it certainly is poisonous
but the potatoes grown from the seeds are fine.

Old 21-07-2003, 09:26 AM
David Rance

Old 21-07-2003, 09:27 AM
David Rance