Old 22-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Alison

Default Baby Arrived - Garden Gone Wild

Hello Again

Looks like you've all been busy out there in this lovely summer (overall).

Baby Rowan arrived 6 weeks pre-term/premature (he wasn't due until this
coming weekend) so we've had a big dose of Intensive Care and
hospitalisation but we're home now and I've been trying to get the garden
back under control.

The gardening question is...
Chopping the top growth off things like Aqualegias and Jacobs Ladder - if I
bung it all in the compost bin, will the seeds germinate absolutely
everywhere next year when it's worked into the garden? Similarly with Rose
Bay Willow Herb that is in flower and podding a lil but hasn't yet got the
fluffy stage of seeding (these things seem to have a nasty habit of
'fluffing' in the compost bin so I was wondering if the seeds are viable
then or not?)

TIA
--Alison

Old 22-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Druss

I would imagine that a really hot compost heap could kill the seeds, but
most heaps never get that hot. So the seeds will probabyl germinate, or at
least some of them will next year.
As for the rosebay, it's able to still create seed even after uprooting the
stuff, and I would say burn it, or bin it, it's best not even given the
chance to spread. Of course if you can get it early enough you can compost
it, but it has to be pretty small in my experience.
Duncan

"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...

Old 22-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:06:06 +0100, Alison wrote:

Baby Rowan arrived 6 weeks pre-term/premature...we're home now

Congratulations!

The gardening question is...
Chopping the top growth off things like Aqualegias and Jacobs Ladder - if I
bung it all in the compost bin, will the seeds germinate absolutely
everywhere next year when it's worked into the garden?

Very likely unless your compost heap is really hot. Few are.

I never put flowering weeds or seed-bearing anything in my own
compost for that very reason. Such material goes to the municipal
compost facility.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 22-07-2003, 07:38 PM
Kate Morgan

Baby Rowan arrived 6 weeks pre-term/premature...we're home now

Congratualtions :-)))

Old 22-07-2003, 08:20 PM
bnd777

If you have a good "hot" compost bin with the addition of horse manure or
lashings of urine then you should not have any problem whatever with seeding
I certainly have not and I throw everything including weeds into any one of
my 7 bins

Old 23-07-2003, 01:34 AM
David Hill

Baby Rowan arrived 6 weeks pre-term/premature...we're home now

Congratulations :

Just remember
You have to increase the number of times you have to pot and re pot.
Maintain liquid feed,
Lightly wash all over frequently, but don't leave wet or damp for prolonged
periods.
Avoid extremes of temperature.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 23-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Mary Fisher

"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...
Hello Again

Looks like you've all been busy out there in this lovely summer (overall).

Baby Rowan arrived 6 weeks pre-term/premature (he wasn't due until this
coming weekend)

Congratulations!

I've been trying to get the garden
back under control.

Ah. My youngest is 35 and I still haven't tamed the garden ...

Or the 'children'!

Mary