GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to tame a virginia creeper? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/38198-how-tame-virginia-creeper.html)

Peter 24-07-2003 11:56 PM

How to tame a virginia creeper?

Our house looks splendid with the Virginia Creeper I planted about 8 years ago covering the front and side :) , BUT ....

I am now having remove 2-3 feet of growth 3 times a year to prevent it growing over my windows and roof. :( I haven't fed it for ages. In the early spring I pruned the roots so radically that I was afraid that I might kill the plant. Yet this summer the creeper is as vigorous as ever!!

What can I do? I want to keep the plant. But I just want to keep it under control.

Peter 25-07-2003 12:29 AM

By Virginia Creeper I mean the one with the adhesive disks, Parthenocissus quinquefolia

david 25-07-2003 10:03 AM

How to tame a virginia creeper?

I think you can't. Also, we had one rambling all over our barns. When we
rebuilt, using the stone, there was absolutely no way of getting ri of the
suction pads!
David

Peter 27-07-2003 09:30 AM

I've heard there are chemicals for inhibiting growth. Will one of them help slow it down?