Old 26-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Paul Taylor

Default purple poppy?

Hi,

I have got a poppy growing in my garden that has a purple flower on it.
I haven't planted it, it just appeared.

The plant's foilage appears to be the same as a the poppy's that grow on
my allotment (weeds that I sometimes don't pull as they do look rather
nice as long as they don't compete too much with my vegetables!). The
poppys at my allotment have the usual red flowers but the one in my
garden is purple. I have searched on the internet to see if I could find
out about wild poppys and the colours the flowers come in but haven't
found much information.

Could anyone tell me what the variety is?

Regards,

Paul Taylor
Old 26-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Mike

In article , Paul Taylor
writes
Hi,

I have got a poppy growing in my garden that has a purple flower on it.
I haven't planted it, it just appeared.

The plant's foilage appears to be the same as a the poppy's that grow on
my allotment (weeds that I sometimes don't pull as they do look rather
nice as long as they don't compete too much with my vegetables!). The
poppys at my allotment have the usual red flowers but the one in my
garden is purple. I have searched on the internet to see if I could find
out about wild poppys and the colours the flowers come in but haven't
found much information.

Could anyone tell me what the variety is?

Regards,

Paul Taylor

P.somniferum (Opium poppy)

:-))

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they
go flying by.

Old 26-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Paul Taylor

P.somniferum (Opium poppy)

:-))

Hmm.. Is it a common plant in the UK? I wonder how it got there. I
don't think it it was from seed from a previous plant that grew there as
we moved to this house about 6 years ago and the previous owner had that
part of the garden grassed over. And my wife says she definately didn't
plant it! :-)

Paul
Old 26-07-2003, 06:42 PM
David Hill

As I read your posting the poppy you have is a purple form of the Field
poppy.
If so worth saving seed from it to see if it comes true next year.
Sounds interesting I have seen something similar but had no chance of seed
from them.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Mike Lyle

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
As I read your posting the poppy you have is a purple form of the Field
poppy.
If so worth saving seed from it to see if it comes true next year.
Sounds interesting I have seen something similar but had no chance of seed
from them.

Definitely worth saving seed if it's, other than purple colour, the
same as the red field poppies you describe. (Opium poppies are smooth
and have greyish leaves; the various field poppies are greener and
hairy.)

Poppy seed is very durable, lasting many years in the ground until
disturbance allows it to germinate.

Mike.

Old 27-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Michael Berridge

Paul Taylor wrote in message ...
P.somniferum (Opium poppy)

:-))

Hmm.. Is it a common plant in the UK? I wonder how it got there. I
don't think it it was from seed from a previous plant that grew there

as
we moved to this house about 6 years ago and the previous owner had

that
part of the garden grassed over. And my wife says she definately

didn't
plant it! :-)

Poppy seeds can lay dormant for many many years in the soil, and only
germinate when they are exposed to light. That is why the fields where
the major battles in the first World War occurred became covered in
poppies after the war. the shells exploding had brought many dormant
seeds to the surface.
Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 04-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Registered User

I too have a purple poppy growing, not in my soil but just outside the boundary of my soil in a crack in the concrete, it is now over 2 and a half foot high and today i counted 16 heads on it, with more developing! to date only one bud has opened and it was the most amazing colour, pale purple leaves with a deep purple segment. i cant wait for the rest of the heads to open!