Old 27-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Victor West

Default What Weed?

Hello,
My border has numerous small green leaved plants (leaf shape is small, oval
with a slightly rounded jagged edge). When digging them up I find that the
root thickens deeper down and appears to go quite deep.
Any idea what this is? Is it Bindweed?

Victor

Old 27-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Sheffield, South Yorks, UK

sounds to me a bit like young dandelions. If it is, you need to dig the whole long thick root out, if you want to get rid of it.

Having said that, I have one place in my garden where I encourage dandelions. I get lovely yellow flowers in the spring. Then I dead-head the flowers quickly, before they form the dandelion "clocks". Otherwise my garden, and my neighbours' would get over-run.
Old 27-07-2003, 05:33 PM
Mike Lyle

"Victor West" wrote in message ...
Hello,
My border has numerous small green leaved plants (leaf shape is small, oval
with a slightly rounded jagged edge). When digging them up I find that the
root thickens deeper down and appears to go quite deep.
Any idea what this is? Is it Bindweed?

Bindweeds have arrowhead-shaped leaves, so I doubt if that's it.

Could you tell us the leaf-size in terms of finger- or thumb-nails,
please?
Are you getting them out when they've only got, say, two main leaves?
What do you get if you let one grow to maturity? What are the thing's
flowers like?
Leaves and stems: Smooth or hairy? Dull or shiny? Stems round or
square?
Stem colour? Aromatic?
Does it trail along, or is it more of a rosette?

What was growing in the border last year?

Meanwhile, I'll have a very wild free guess, assuming you've only
moved in this year and haven't seen it fully-grown. If the main root
is tough-looking, rather like thin gnarled rope, yellowish but maybe
purplish near where the shoot comes out, you've got infant stinging
nettles coming from established roots-- a common affliction if you use
garden compost, or the garden's been disused for a while.

Mike.
Old 27-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Victor West

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
[...]

1. Now I look again, the leaf is a bit arrowhead shaped.
2. The size is about half an inch long
3. I'm getting them out when they have about two/three leaves
4. I'm trying to stop them getting to maturity
5. The leaves are dull green
6. I didn't really notice it last year.
7. The main root is dark, a bit like a very thick shoe lace and appears to
go into the subsoil.

Victor

Old 27-07-2003, 11:04 PM
Victor West

Here is a pic.

Victor

http://mysite.freeserve.com/weatherd...0.220518860935
54374

Old 27-07-2003, 11:04 PM
Victor West

"Victor West" wrote in message
Here is a pic.

Victor

http://mysite.freeserve.com/weatherd...0.220518860935
54374

You need to paste the entire link to your browser.

Victor

Old 28-07-2003, 06:12 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Victor West
writes
Here is a pic.

Victor

http://mysite.freeserve.com/weatherd...0.220518860935
54374

Cinquefoil, a native species related to the shrubby Potentilla which is
a long flowering season garden shrub.

It's a coloniser type plant, ie it quickly invades bare ground, but is
not so good at competing with other plants. It's not a desperately
invasive weed, or particularly difficult to pull out. So - a nuisance -
but don't panic.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 28-07-2003, 07:04 PM
Victor West

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Victor West
writes
Here is a pic.

Victor

http://mysite.freeserve.com/weatherd...?0.22051886093

5
54374

Cinquefoil, a native species related to the shrubby Potentilla which is
a long flowering season garden shrub.

It's a coloniser type plant, ie it quickly invades bare ground, but is
not so good at competing with other plants. It's not a desperately
invasive weed, or particularly difficult to pull out. So - a nuisance -
but don't panic.
--

Great. Many thanks for that.

Victor