GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   chilean fire bush (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/38720-chilean-fire-bush.html)

Green Earth 29-07-2003 05:05 PM

chilean fire bush

Has anybody successfully grown a Chilean Fire Bush from cuttings?

if yes, how?

Janet Baraclough 30-07-2003 01:04 AM

chilean fire bush

The message
from Green Earth contains these words:

Has anybody successfully grown a Chilean Fire Bush from cuttings?

if yes, how?

I recently asked the same question to the head propagator at a NT
garden, who said he's often tried to but never succeeded (and he has
plenty of fresh material to hand).

Janet.

Charlie Pridham 30-07-2003 11:42 AM

chilean fire bush

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Green Earth contains these words:

Has anybody successfully grown a Chilean Fire Bush from cuttings?

if yes, how?

I recently asked the same question to the head propagator at a NT
garden, who said he's often tried to but never succeeded (and he has
plenty of fresh material to hand).

Janet.

Small scale propagation is by suckers, but you can do nodal cuttings of the
currant years growth in June in a mist unit. Its not considered easy!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Chris Hogg 30-07-2003 06:12 PM

chilean fire bush

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:50:24 +0100, Green Earth
wrote:

Has anybody successfully grown a Chilean Fire Bush from cuttings?

if yes, how?

No, but they set seed fairly readily which germinate without
difficulty IME. Remember that CFB (Embothrium) are members of the
protea family and don't like phosphate, so don't use a general purpose
fertiliser on them, stick with nitrogen and potash only, or at best
only tomato fertiliser.

--
Chris

Janet Baraclough 30-07-2003 11:32 PM

chilean fire bush

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:

wrote:

Has anybody successfully grown a Chilean Fire Bush from cuttings?

if yes, how?

No, but they set seed fairly readily which germinate without
difficulty IME. Remember that CFB (Embothrium) are members of the
protea family and don't like phosphate, so don't use a general purpose
fertiliser on them, stick with nitrogen and potash only, or at best
only tomato fertiliser.

Thanks for that tip; I'm just about to plant one in the garden. I'll
also pass this on to Bob, who is finding his pot of seedlings very
slow-growing.

Janet.