Old 29-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Green Earth

Default chilean fire bush

Has anybody successfully grown a Chilean Fire Bush from cuttings?

if yes, how?

Old 30-07-2003, 01:04 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Green Earth contains these words:

Has anybody successfully grown a Chilean Fire Bush from cuttings?

if yes, how?

I recently asked the same question to the head propagator at a NT
garden, who said he's often tried to but never succeeded (and he has
plenty of fresh material to hand).

Janet.
Old 30-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Green Earth contains these words:

Has anybody successfully grown a Chilean Fire Bush from cuttings?

if yes, how?

I recently asked the same question to the head propagator at a NT
garden, who said he's often tried to but never succeeded (and he has
plenty of fresh material to hand).

Janet.

Small scale propagation is by suckers, but you can do nodal cuttings of the
currant years growth in June in a mist unit. Its not considered easy!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:50:24 +0100, Green Earth
wrote:

Has anybody successfully grown a Chilean Fire Bush from cuttings?

if yes, how?

No, but they set seed fairly readily which germinate without
difficulty IME. Remember that CFB (Embothrium) are members of the
protea family and don't like phosphate, so don't use a general purpose
fertiliser on them, stick with nitrogen and potash only, or at best
only tomato fertiliser.

--
Chris

Old 30-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:

wrote:

Has anybody successfully grown a Chilean Fire Bush from cuttings?

if yes, how?

No, but they set seed fairly readily which germinate without
difficulty IME. Remember that CFB (Embothrium) are members of the
protea family and don't like phosphate, so don't use a general purpose
fertiliser on them, stick with nitrogen and potash only, or at best
only tomato fertiliser.

Thanks for that tip; I'm just about to plant one in the garden. I'll
also pass this on to Bob, who is finding his pot of seedlings very
slow-growing.

Janet.