Old 30-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Ray

Default Iceas for

.....a medium sized shrub with year round interest to go into a semi
shade/shady position which also suffers from a clay soil. Impossible ask?

TIA

Ray

Old 30-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Emrys Davies

'Ray',

This is my favourite shrub, but it needs a lot of sunshine to be at its
best.

http://store3.yimg.com/I/timplandscaping_1719_111635281

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 18-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Spider

A cotoneaster would fit the bill. There are evergreen and deciduous forms,
plain green or (a few) variegated, spring flowers followed by autumn
berries. I have several forms, all in heavy clay; they seem tolerant of the
clay and either sun or shade. Good for wildlife, too.
Mahonias, Hollies and Berberis will all cope, too, if you don't mind the
spines.
If you want large leaves, try Fatsia japonica.
Spider

Old 18-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Spider
writes
A cotoneaster would fit the bill. There are evergreen and deciduous forms,
plain green or (a few) variegated, spring flowers followed by autumn
berries. I have several forms, all in heavy clay; they seem tolerant of the
clay and either sun or shade. Good for wildlife, too.

In what way good for wildlife?

Mahonias, Hollies and Berberis will all cope, too, if you don't mind the
spines.

Euphorbia characias, with grey leaves all year, and long lasting
inflorescences.

If you want large leaves, try Fatsia japonica.

Or Helleborus corsicus.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-08-2003, 10:59 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , Spider
writes
A cotoneaster would fit the bill. There are evergreen and deciduous forms,
plain green or (a few) variegated, spring flowers followed by autumn
berries. I have several forms, all in heavy clay; they seem tolerant
of the
clay and either sun or shade. Good for wildlife, too.

In what way good for wildlife?

The nectar of c horizontalis and bulleyana attracts large numbers of
bees early in the year, and birds eat the berries, eventually :-)
Cotoneaster horizontalis tight against a wall is a favoured nesting
spots for blackbirds and wrens ime.

Janet.

Old 19-08-2003, 01:43 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , Spider
writes
A cotoneaster would fit the bill. There are evergreen and deciduous forms,
plain green or (a few) variegated, spring flowers followed by autumn
berries. I have several forms, all in heavy clay; they seem tolerant
of the
clay and either sun or shade. Good for wildlife, too.

In what way good for wildlife?

The nectar of c horizontalis and bulleyana attracts large numbers of
bees early in the year, and birds eat the berries, eventually :-)

OK, I'll accept that, reluctantly ;-)
The only longer lasting berry in my garden is Skimmia! Everything else
is preferred to cotoneaster by my birds.

Cotoneaster horizontalis tight against a wall is a favoured nesting
spots for blackbirds and wrens ime.

Ah - mine is tight against the wall along the edge of the pavement, so
none of them want to nest there.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 05-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Spider

I garden on London clay and find the following good in shade/semi-shade:
Cotoneaster horizontalis, C. microphylla, C. lacteus (flowers spring,
berries winter/autumn.)
Ilex varieties (some variegated), spring flowers followed by berries.
Chaenomeles (semi-shade only), ----------"----------------------.
Pyracantha (smaller forms) -----------"----------------------.
Skimmia -----------"----------------------
..
Berberis (--"--)!
Mahonia (--"--)
Viburnums (evergreen and deciduous), varying flower times, some with
berries.
Also, evergreens that will give a long flowering season:
Hypericum 'Hidcote'; (hardy) Hebes.
Also, Euonymus 'Silver Queen': evergreen, insignificant flowers, but quietly
glows all winter (reliable variegation).
Also, some larger hardy Fuchsias. A few are semi-evergreen, but mostly
deciduous. Try magellanica forms, or 'Ricartonii'. I grow Mrs.Popple - no
winter season, but flowers reliably in semi-shade.
Hope this helps.
Spider