GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   washing water (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/38865-washing-water.html)

Tom Warner 31-07-2003 01:05 AM

washing water

It gets pretty dry here in Essex at times (although not at the moment!) and
I was thinking about using used washing up or bath water on the garden.
I have heard it's OK but thought I would ask if anyone does this regularly
if they have noticed any problems.
Thanks
Tom

Fran 31-07-2003 08:33 AM

washing water

"Tom Warner" wrote in message

It gets pretty dry here in Essex at times (although not at the moment!)

and
I was thinking about using used washing up or bath water on the garden.
I have heard it's OK but thought I would ask if anyone does this regularly
if they have noticed any problems.

one of the old granny remedies for bugs treating various bugs was to throw
the washing up water onto infected plants. However, the grannies used pure
washing soap.

martin 31-07-2003 09:42 AM

washing water

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:22:47 +1000, "Fran"
wrote:

"Tom Warner" wrote in message

It gets pretty dry here in Essex at times (although not at the moment!)

and
I was thinking about using used washing up or bath water on the garden.
I have heard it's OK but thought I would ask if anyone does this regularly
if they have noticed any problems.

one of the old granny remedies for bugs treating various bugs was to throw
the washing up water onto infected plants. However, the grannies used pure
washing soap.

and removed the baby from the bath water first.........

--
Martin

bigboard 31-07-2003 01:02 PM

washing water

Tom Warner wrote:
It gets pretty dry here in Essex at times (although not at the moment!) and
I was thinking about using used washing up or bath water on the garden.
I have heard it's OK but thought I would ask if anyone does this regularly
if they have noticed any problems.
Thanks
Tom

I use both all the time and have no problems, apart from the odd
sweetcorn kernel in my pots! However, you're not supposed to use water
from dishwashers or washing machines as the detergents are too harsh for
plants.

AlisonAPg 31-07-2003 08:13 PM

washing water

Subject: washing water
From: bigboard
Date: 31/07/2003 12:51 GMT Standard Time

However, you're not supposed to use water
from dishwashers or washing machines as the detergents are too harsh for
plants.

If you use "magic balls" in your washing machine instead of detergents you can
use the washing machine water though.

Alison P.

Janet Baraclough 01-08-2003 04:05 AM

washing water

The message
from (AlisonAPg) contains these words:

If you use "magic balls" in your washing machine instead of detergents
you can
use the washing machine water though.

so what's the magic cleaner in magic balls that's not detergent, then?

Janet

Chris Doran 01-08-2003 04:05 AM

washing water

"Tom Warner" wrote in message ...
It gets pretty dry here in Essex at times (although not at the moment!) and
I was thinking about using used washing up or bath water on the garden.
I have heard it's OK but thought I would ask if anyone does this regularly
if they have noticed any problems.

I've used bath water with no problems, except that if you keep it too
long it begins to pong a bit!

Also, put a small bucket under the kitchen tap. You'll be amazed how
much water you collect from rinsing hands or washing vegetables.

Chris

Tom Warner 01-08-2003 12:13 PM

washing water

"Chris Doran" wrote in message
om...

I've used bath water with no problems, except that if you keep it too
long it begins to pong a bit!

Also, put a small bucket under the kitchen tap. You'll be amazed how
much water you collect from rinsing hands or washing vegetables.

Chris

Yes we do this already, it's frightening how much water is wasted just
rinsing the odd carrot or potato.
Thanks for everyones comments.
Tom

AndWhyNot 01-08-2003 06:03 PM

washing water

On 31 Jul 2003 18:17:11 -0700, (Chris
Doran) wrote:

"Tom Warner" wrote in message ...
It gets pretty dry here in Essex at times (although not at the moment!) and
I was thinking about using used washing up or bath water on the garden.
I have heard it's OK but thought I would ask if anyone does this regularly
if they have noticed any problems.

I've used bath water with no problems, except that if you keep it too
long it begins to pong a bit!

I have tried using bath water but find that all my pots float to the
surface ................ what am I doing wrong ??

:-|

martin 01-08-2003 06:03 PM

washing water

Doran) wrote:

"Tom Warner" wrote in message ...
It gets pretty dry here in Essex at times (although not at the moment!) and
I was thinking about using used washing up or bath water on the garden.
I have heard it's OK but thought I would ask if anyone does this regularly
if they have noticed any problems.

I've used bath water with no problems, except that if you keep it too
long it begins to pong a bit!

I have tried using bath water but find that all my pots float to the
surface ................ what am I doing wrong ??

:-|

You are in the bird bath.
--
Martin

Rusty Hinge 02-08-2003 09:13 AM

washing water

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from (AlisonAPg) contains these words:

If you use "magic balls" in your washing machine instead of detergents
you can
use the washing machine water though.

so what's the magic cleaner in magic balls that's not detergent, then?

It's not detergent that matters, after all, washing-up liquid is a
detergent: it's the borax in washing powders that is a very effective
herbicide.

--
Rusty
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.