Old 31-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Tom Warner

Default washing water

It gets pretty dry here in Essex at times (although not at the moment!) and
I was thinking about using used washing up or bath water on the garden.
I have heard it's OK but thought I would ask if anyone does this regularly
if they have noticed any problems.
Thanks
Tom

Old 31-07-2003, 08:33 AM
Fran

"Tom Warner" wrote in message

It gets pretty dry here in Essex at times (although not at the moment!)

and
I was thinking about using used washing up or bath water on the garden.
I have heard it's OK but thought I would ask if anyone does this regularly
if they have noticed any problems.

one of the old granny remedies for bugs treating various bugs was to throw
the washing up water onto infected plants. However, the grannies used pure
washing soap.

Old 31-07-2003, 09:42 AM
martin

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:22:47 +1000, "Fran"
wrote:

"Tom Warner" wrote in message

It gets pretty dry here in Essex at times (although not at the moment!)

and
I was thinking about using used washing up or bath water on the garden.
I have heard it's OK but thought I would ask if anyone does this regularly
if they have noticed any problems.

one of the old granny remedies for bugs treating various bugs was to throw
the washing up water onto infected plants. However, the grannies used pure
washing soap.

and removed the baby from the bath water first.........

--
Martin
Old 31-07-2003, 01:02 PM
bigboard

Tom Warner wrote:
It gets pretty dry here in Essex at times (although not at the moment!) and
I was thinking about using used washing up or bath water on the garden.
I have heard it's OK but thought I would ask if anyone does this regularly
if they have noticed any problems.
Thanks
Tom

I use both all the time and have no problems, apart from the odd
sweetcorn kernel in my pots! However, you're not supposed to use water
from dishwashers or washing machines as the detergents are too harsh for
plants.

Old 01-08-2003, 04:05 AM
Chris Doran

"Tom Warner" wrote in message ...
It gets pretty dry here in Essex at times (although not at the moment!) and
I was thinking about using used washing up or bath water on the garden.
I have heard it's OK but thought I would ask if anyone does this regularly
if they have noticed any problems.

I've used bath water with no problems, except that if you keep it too
long it begins to pong a bit!

Also, put a small bucket under the kitchen tap. You'll be amazed how
much water you collect from rinsing hands or washing vegetables.

Chris
Old 01-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Tom Warner

"Chris Doran" wrote in message
om...

I've used bath water with no problems, except that if you keep it too
long it begins to pong a bit!

Also, put a small bucket under the kitchen tap. You'll be amazed how
much water you collect from rinsing hands or washing vegetables.

Chris

Yes we do this already, it's frightening how much water is wasted just
rinsing the odd carrot or potato.
Thanks for everyones comments.
Tom